- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Cape man accused of domestic assault, trapping victim in apartment
A Cape Girardeau man was in police custody early Thursday pending formal charges for domestic assault, felonious restraint and property damage.
According to Cape Girardeau Police Department spokesman Darin Hickey, the suspect, a 30-year-old man whose name has not been released pending filing of charges, was arrested around 2 a.m. Thursday morning after officers responded to a domestic violence call.
The victim, a 20-year-old man, had reported to police on Monday that he had been physically assaulted by the suspect and had damage done to his personal property. He also reported that he had been kept from leaving the apartment where the altercation had taken place.
The victim stated he was able to escape through the apartment through a window while the subject was using the telephone, but did not file a formal complaint when he met with officers on Monday.
The victim stated that things had calmed down after he had returned to the apartment, but by Wednesday evening the suspect had turned violent again, which led to the victim's call to police Thursday morning.