- Waller deemed competent to stand trial (1/11/17)5
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- 113 drug tests at Jackson High net one instance of illicit usage (1/11/17)14
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)7
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- Imo's Pizza will be added to Rhodes 101 convenience store in Jackson (1/10/17)16
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)13
- Juvenile accused of stealing, damaging playground statue (1/9/17)25
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Business notebook: Faithfully Fed aims for more than just food (1/9/17)4
Broadway is open
There is good news for those who travel downtown Cape Girardeau on a regular basis. Broadway is open.
The construction crews, on tight deadlines, finished the main road construction this week with Broadway opening completely on Tuesday.
While work continues on the $4.5 million project, including landscaping and lighting, the opening was a significant milestone.
For the past six months, Fronabarger Concreters Inc. poured 3,605 feet of concrete from Water to Pacific Streets. And more than 10 tons of rock was used for the foundation of the sidewalks.
While the deadline was largely geared for the opening of Isle of Capris Casino, it's our hope that the project benefits all in the downtown area.
The project already has inspired some property owners to look for ways they can spruce up their establishments. Here's hoping others will follow this lead. Maybe it's a fresh coat of paint, a few flowers, or even a major renovation. With this major project nearly finished, downtown is poised for other opportunities.
Hats off to Fronabarger and all the folks who have helped make this project come to fruition in quick time.