- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Sands Pancake House moving to Morgan Oak location (8/11/17)1
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Cape movie theater to feature recliners, new food and drink options (8/11/17)3
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
Broadway is open
There is good news for those who travel downtown Cape Girardeau on a regular basis. Broadway is open.
The construction crews, on tight deadlines, finished the main road construction this week with Broadway opening completely on Tuesday.
While work continues on the $4.5 million project, including landscaping and lighting, the opening was a significant milestone.
For the past six months, Fronabarger Concreters Inc. poured 3,605 feet of concrete from Water to Pacific Streets. And more than 10 tons of rock was used for the foundation of the sidewalks.
While the deadline was largely geared for the opening of Isle of Capris Casino, it's our hope that the project benefits all in the downtown area.
The project already has inspired some property owners to look for ways they can spruce up their establishments. Here's hoping others will follow this lead. Maybe it's a fresh coat of paint, a few flowers, or even a major renovation. With this major project nearly finished, downtown is poised for other opportunities.
Hats off to Fronabarger and all the folks who have helped make this project come to fruition in quick time.