- Charges filed in Sunday murder; suspects in custody (2/14/18)2
- Fake UFC event listing stirs the pot at local Golden Corral (2/10/18)3
- University Foundation to honor Talberts as Friends of the University (2/13/18)2
- TJ's Burgers, Wings & Pizza expands with dining area in Fruitland (2/16/18)
- Major case squad activated to investigate shooting death in Cape (2/13/18)
- Lovebirds for 80 years give advice: Trust, patience and 'Tell 'em you love 'em' (2/14/18)2
- Jackson schools to install artificial turf on football, soccer fields (2/14/18)
- Area restaurants plan for those observing Lent on Valentine's Day (2/12/18)
Broadway is open
There is good news for those who travel downtown Cape Girardeau on a regular basis. Broadway is open.
The construction crews, on tight deadlines, finished the main road construction this week with Broadway opening completely on Tuesday.
While work continues on the $4.5 million project, including landscaping and lighting, the opening was a significant milestone.
For the past six months, Fronabarger Concreters Inc. poured 3,605 feet of concrete from Water to Pacific Streets. And more than 10 tons of rock was used for the foundation of the sidewalks.
While the deadline was largely geared for the opening of Isle of Capris Casino, it's our hope that the project benefits all in the downtown area.
The project already has inspired some property owners to look for ways they can spruce up their establishments. Here's hoping others will follow this lead. Maybe it's a fresh coat of paint, a few flowers, or even a major renovation. With this major project nearly finished, downtown is poised for other opportunities.
Hats off to Fronabarger and all the folks who have helped make this project come to fruition in quick time.