- Harbor Freight Tools plans to move ahead with Cape Girardeau store (12/5/17)2
- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Business Notebook: Yule Log Cabin gets home feel honestly (12/4/17)
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
- Sugarfire Cape barbecue restaurant to open June 2018 (12/7/17)
- Rep. Lichtenegger proposes change to term limits (12/4/17)7
- Fire displaces family of seven (12/5/17)1
- Buffalo Wild Wings moving to new location in March (12/2/17)2
- Fruitland Army veteran spends weeks helping in ravaged Puerto Rico (12/5/17)2
Broadway is open
There is good news for those who travel downtown Cape Girardeau on a regular basis. Broadway is open.
The construction crews, on tight deadlines, finished the main road construction this week with Broadway opening completely on Tuesday.
While work continues on the $4.5 million project, including landscaping and lighting, the opening was a significant milestone.
For the past six months, Fronabarger Concreters Inc. poured 3,605 feet of concrete from Water to Pacific Streets. And more than 10 tons of rock was used for the foundation of the sidewalks.
While the deadline was largely geared for the opening of Isle of Capris Casino, it's our hope that the project benefits all in the downtown area.
The project already has inspired some property owners to look for ways they can spruce up their establishments. Here's hoping others will follow this lead. Maybe it's a fresh coat of paint, a few flowers, or even a major renovation. With this major project nearly finished, downtown is poised for other opportunities.
Hats off to Fronabarger and all the folks who have helped make this project come to fruition in quick time.