- State declares test results for schools invalid (10/4/17)2
- College algebra to be removed from Southeast required curriculum (10/10/17)1
- Child-custody advocate: State law needs fix to provide parents with more equal custody (10/12/17)
- Past Rowdy the Redhawk mascot's identity revealed (10/15/17)
- Cancer will 'change your life, but it doesn't have to rule it' (10/8/17)
- Sikeston singer moves on with 'The Voice' (10/16/17)
- Police chief, council: Cape Girardeau faces growing gun violence (10/17/17)4
- Developer asks court to OK tax district board for improvements near Hobby Lobby (10/17/17)4
- Bills addressing equal child custody to be filed, legislators say (10/13/17)
- The last person to be laid to rest at Old Lorimier Cemetery: Mary Russell Fox (10/17/17)2
Motel workers alert police to church bomb plot
MIAMI, Okla. -- Two Miami, Okla., maintenance workers who reported the makings of Molotov cocktails in a trash bin say they are not heroes.
Motel guest Gregory Arthur Weiler II of Elk Grove Village, Ill., was arrested for possession of an explosive device and violating Oklahoma's anti-terrorism act after motel workers Ralph Smith and Steve Ballenger reported suspicious items they found.
Smith on Tuesday that he found an empty gas can and strips of nylon in a trash bin. Ballenger said he previously saw Weiler with a gas can.
The two say they entered Weiler's room Thursday on the pretense of cleaning it and found more nylon and other suspicious items -- then called police.
Both say they were just doing their jobs.