- Waller deemed competent to stand trial (1/11/17)5
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)7
- 113 drug tests at Jackson High net one instance of illicit usage (1/11/17)15
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Imo's Pizza will be added to Rhodes 101 convenience store in Jackson (1/10/17)16
- Wallingford proposes bill to collect sales taxes on online purchases (1/11/17)30
Fields of Faith
Fields of Faith, a popular student-led event, returns to the area this week.
Last year the rally, held at Cape Girardeau Central High School, drew about 1,100 students on a weekday evening. High school and college students -- many of whom are athletes -- shared their testimonies. Worship music and prayer also highlighted the night. And Rich Garza, a former NFL offensive lineman, shared his testimony.
The local event is organized through the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Similar Fields of Faith rallies have been wildly successful in other communities. A story in today's Good Times section details this success and how students have responded. The testimonies the students share about their faith are inspiring. If you have a student in a local high school, we hope you encourage him or her to attend.
This year's keynote speaker is Charity Butler, a former professional softball player. The program starts at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Jackson High School Stadium.
Butler will also visit several area school assemblies this week in connection with Sports World Ministries. She'll be sharing an encouraging message with the students.
Hats off to the students, FCA and Sports World Ministries. Young people are inundated with challenges, but having events like this provides encouragement and spiritual growth.