- Cape businessman known for starting NARS dies at 49 (2/23/17)9
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)7
- Japanese restaurant up and running; owner surprised by fondness of sushi here (2/24/17)1
- SoutheastHEALTH, Washington University School of Medicine announce collaboration (2/24/17)21
- Missouri bill would limit transgender school bathroom access (2/22/17)48
- City issues precautionary boil order near Arena Park (2/23/17)
- Annual father-daughter dance provides some fun bonding time (2/19/17)1
- $22M bond issue would alter Jackson schools (2/22/17)13
- Former KFVS12 reporter talks about recovery from eating disorder (2/23/17)11
Fields of Faith
Fields of Faith, a popular student-led event, returns to the area this week.
Last year the rally, held at Cape Girardeau Central High School, drew about 1,100 students on a weekday evening. High school and college students -- many of whom are athletes -- shared their testimonies. Worship music and prayer also highlighted the night. And Rich Garza, a former NFL offensive lineman, shared his testimony.
The local event is organized through the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Similar Fields of Faith rallies have been wildly successful in other communities. A story in today's Good Times section details this success and how students have responded. The testimonies the students share about their faith are inspiring. If you have a student in a local high school, we hope you encourage him or her to attend.
This year's keynote speaker is Charity Butler, a former professional softball player. The program starts at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Jackson High School Stadium.
Butler will also visit several area school assemblies this week in connection with Sports World Ministries. She'll be sharing an encouraging message with the students.
Hats off to the students, FCA and Sports World Ministries. Young people are inundated with challenges, but having events like this provides encouragement and spiritual growth.