- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)4
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
- Ray's of Kelso to close, then reopen under new ownership (2/16/17)6
Support for Obama
Five reasons I will vote for Obama:1. President Obama has turned the economy around and it will continue to improve unless Congress allows us to fall off the "fiscal cliff."
2. The deficit can be reduced through President Obama's balanced approach of increased revenue and spending cuts. The Republican budget makes spending cuts on the backs of the most vulnerable, while preserving tax breaks for the wealthy and increasing defense spending beyond the Pentagon requests.
3. On foreign policy, President Obama has used a steady, patient approach, taking decisive action when necessary; and he has restored the respect and confidence of our allies. Romney has given indications that he would be more likely to alienate our friends and take impulsive, unilateral action.
4. I believe that the right to life includes life in the middle years, as well as at the beginning and end, and that the right to life includes the right to basic health care. The Affordable Care Act is a good start toward universal health care, in which everyone who is able contributes. Romney has vowed to overturn the ACA.
5. I believe in President Obama's philosophy of cooperation and partnership between government and the private sector in our country and between our country and the rest of the world.
HELEN M. HAYS, Cape Girardeau