- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
ND falls in district championship match
KENNETT, Mo. -- The Notre Dame Regional High School girls tennis team put up a strong fight Wednesday.
But the Bulldogs could not prevent host Kennett from winning its sixth straight Class 1 District 1 title.
Kennett used a pair of marathon singles matches as the springboard to a 5-2 victory in the district championship match.
The contest lasted a little more than four hours.
Kennett won four of the six singles matches and the only varsity doubles match that was completed.
Kennett's Anna Kay Hilburn defeated Carly Hopkins 7-6, 6-4 in a No. 1 singles match that lasted 2 1/2 hours. Hilburn won a first-set tiebreaker 11-9.
Kennett's Kara Heeb won her No. 5 singles match against Adele Soutar 6-7, 7-6, 6-3. Heeb lost a first-set tiebreaker 7-5 and won a second-set tiebreaker 7-4. The match lasted 2 hours, 50 minutes.
Kennett clinched the district title when Kelsey Washburn and Kate White won their No. 2 doubles match against Anna Unterreiner and Maddie Walker 5-7, 6-1, 6-4.
Notre Dame had won the first set of the other two doubles matches, which were retired when Washburn-White won their doubles match because Kennett had scored the five points needed to post the team victory.
Unterreiner beat White 6-2, 6-2 at No. 3 singles and Emily Young defeated Alexa McPherson 6-1, 6-3 at No. 6 singles to account for Notre Dame's two victories.
Kennett, which went 4-0 against Notre Dame this season, improved to 17-1 with its 17th straight victory. The Indians will play North County in a Class 1 sectional Oct. 13.
Notre Dame's season is not over as the Bulldogs will host the individual district tournament Saturday, consisting of singles and doubles.
No. 1 -- Anna Kay Hilburn (K) def. Carly Hopkins 7-6 (9), 6-4
No. 2 -- Darby Sparks (K) def. Reagan Kapp 6-3, 6-1
No. 3 -- Anna Unterreiner (ND) def. Kate White 6-2, 6-2
No. 4 -- Kelsey Washburn (K) def. Maddie Walker 6-2, 6-1
No. 5 -- Kara Heeb (K) def. Adele Soutar 6-7 (5), 7-6 (4), 6-3
No. 6 -- Emily Young (ND) def. Alexa McPherson 6-1, 6-3
No. 1 -- Hopkins/Kapp (ND) led Hilburn-Sparks 6-2, 3-2, did not finish.
No. 1 -- White/Washburn (K) def. Unterreiner-Walker 5-7, 6-1, 6-4.
No. 1 -- Soutar/Young (ND) led Heeb-McPherson 6-4, 1-2 did not finish.