- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)10
- Woman sleeping in car accused of attacking Cape officer (7/26/16)13
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Former Scott City mayor refutes claims made about loss of curbside recycling pickup (7/26/16)
- Burglary of trailer leaves its residents homeless (7/27/16)4
- Cape resident gets seven years in prison for shooting at man (7/26/16)1
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Foot plots provide habitats and nutrition to attract wildlife, grow populations (7/18/16)
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Conference
AARP Missouri and the Kinship Network of Southeast Missouri will host a free conference for grandparents raising grandchildren and other young relatives on Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at the St. Andrew Lutheran Church, 804 N. Cape Rock Drive, in Cape Girardeau from 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.
Registration will open at 8:30 a.m. before the welcome and a series of presentation and workshops begin at 9 a.m. Mary Goesche, chair of the Kinship Care Committee of Southeast Missouri, will present the welcome, and Diane Hall, AARP Missouri Associate State Director for Community Outreach, will address "Changing Roles in a Changing World."
From 9:30 -10:40 a.m., an Impact Panel of experts will discuss: bullying, managing loss, the teen perspective, and youth "sexting." The first concurrent sessions will explore the following issues presented by experts in the areas:
* Grandparents as Parents in the 21st Century
* Legal Issues
* How to Stop Bullying
* Family Budgeting
|*||Medicare Boot Camp|
The second concurrent series of workshops will begin at 11:45 a.m. and the topics are:
|*||Legal Trends in Youth Substance Abuse and Strategies for Prevention|
|*||Money Saving Tips|
|*||Taking Care of You|
|*||Grandparents as Parents in the 21st Century|
A complimentary lunch will be served at 12:30 p.m. and "Maxine" impersonator, Scott Givens from Southeast Health Point Fitness, will entertain participants. The day will conclude with door prizes at 1:30 p.m.
"This conference will provide important information and resources as well as offer support to those parenting the second time around," said Diane Hall, AARP Missouri associate state director for Community Operations. "These GrandFamlies need community understanding and access to information and resources."
This event is free and open to the public. Registration is required so that an adequate number of lunches will be available. Registration deadline is October 15, 2012 and should be made at the Southeast Missouri Area on Aging, 1219 N. Kingshighway, Suite 100, Cape Girardeau or by calling either 1.800.392.8771 or 573.335.3331
"We welcome all to this free event," Hall added.
Sponsors of the event are AARP Missouri, AT&T, Community Counseling Center, University of Missouri Extension, Area Agency on Aging, Cape Girardeau Kiwanis Club.
The Kinship Care Network of Southeast Missouri is comprised of AARP Missouri, SEMO Area Agency on Aging, University of Missouri Extension, Community Counseling Center, Jackson Ministerial Alliance, Children's Division, Alzheimer Association and Cross Trails Medical Center.