- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)5
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)3
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)33
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
- Cape woman hopes son's death in Chattanooga will lead to better policing (11/30/16)11
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Conference
AARP Missouri and the Kinship Network of Southeast Missouri will host a free conference for grandparents raising grandchildren and other young relatives on Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at the St. Andrew Lutheran Church, 804 N. Cape Rock Drive, in Cape Girardeau from 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.
Registration will open at 8:30 a.m. before the welcome and a series of presentation and workshops begin at 9 a.m. Mary Goesche, chair of the Kinship Care Committee of Southeast Missouri, will present the welcome, and Diane Hall, AARP Missouri Associate State Director for Community Outreach, will address "Changing Roles in a Changing World."
From 9:30 -10:40 a.m., an Impact Panel of experts will discuss: bullying, managing loss, the teen perspective, and youth "sexting." The first concurrent sessions will explore the following issues presented by experts in the areas:
* Grandparents as Parents in the 21st Century
* Legal Issues
* How to Stop Bullying
* Family Budgeting
|*||Medicare Boot Camp|
The second concurrent series of workshops will begin at 11:45 a.m. and the topics are:
|*||Legal Trends in Youth Substance Abuse and Strategies for Prevention|
|*||Money Saving Tips|
|*||Taking Care of You|
|*||Grandparents as Parents in the 21st Century|
A complimentary lunch will be served at 12:30 p.m. and "Maxine" impersonator, Scott Givens from Southeast Health Point Fitness, will entertain participants. The day will conclude with door prizes at 1:30 p.m.
"This conference will provide important information and resources as well as offer support to those parenting the second time around," said Diane Hall, AARP Missouri associate state director for Community Operations. "These GrandFamlies need community understanding and access to information and resources."
This event is free and open to the public. Registration is required so that an adequate number of lunches will be available. Registration deadline is October 15, 2012 and should be made at the Southeast Missouri Area on Aging, 1219 N. Kingshighway, Suite 100, Cape Girardeau or by calling either 1.800.392.8771 or 573.335.3331
"We welcome all to this free event," Hall added.
Sponsors of the event are AARP Missouri, AT&T, Community Counseling Center, University of Missouri Extension, Area Agency on Aging, Cape Girardeau Kiwanis Club.
The Kinship Care Network of Southeast Missouri is comprised of AARP Missouri, SEMO Area Agency on Aging, University of Missouri Extension, Community Counseling Center, Jackson Ministerial Alliance, Children's Division, Alzheimer Association and Cross Trails Medical Center.