- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)6
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
Media bias problem
Over the last several years we have seen evidence of much of the media being unabashedly pro Obama and the Democratic Party. Failing to report important news, refusing to dig and uncover events from Fast and Furious to the recent deaths of Ambassador Stevens and others in Libya, and holding back any kind of criticism about this administration whether it's the president making decisions by fiat -- such as the recent one on immigration -- or ignoring laws he doesn't agree with or campaigning instead of taking care of presidential duties.
We could go on and on about these news sources and how biased they are. What I haven't heard mentioned much is the fact that our national security is at stake. A free press is one of the foundations of a free people. The press is supposed to be impartial, reporting the facts as best they can determine them.
Historically, when there's been a problem with the press, it's been a dictatorial government controlling what the press can publish, slanting the news, keeping the people from knowing the truth.
The problem has been an abuse of power from the top. Now, however, the problem is within the media itself. It is so fawning, so blinded by personality and ideology, so captivated by the current administration that it either can't see the truth or can't bear to report it accurately.
An uninformed public cannot make wise and educated decisions about our leaders, our laws, our foreign policy, etc. That is the situation we face right now. It is serious.
MIKE AND MARTHA STEPHENS,