- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Candidate questionnaire: Gary Schaaf
NAME: Gary J. Schaaf
PLACE OF BIRTH: Perryville
SPOUSE'S, CHILDREN'S NAMES:
Tamara Schaaf, Amanda Geile, Brian Schaaf, Aaron Schaaf
Graduated Perryville H.S. 1975. Some college at SEMO. St. Charles Law Enforcement Academy, numerous law enforcement related courses from various state and federal agencies.
EMPLOYER: Perry County
BUSINESSES OWNED, ALL OR PART:
I do not own a business.
PUBLIC OFFICES HELD OR SOUGHT; GIVE DATES:
Chief of Police/City Marshal, Perryville, 1986-1992. Sheriff Perry County 1993-present.
WHAT IS THE BIGGEST CRIME ISSUE FACING PERRY COUNTY?
Illegal drugs, which lead to other crimes such as assault, burglary and theft. Most crimes do directly or indirectly involve illegal drugs and/or alcohol abuse.
DO YOU FEEL THE SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT HAS A GOOD REPUTATION? HOW WOULD YOU PRESERVE OR IMPROVE ON THAT REPUTATION?
I believe we have a good reputation and are well respected by our community and other area agencies. We strive to be thorough in our efforts to prevent and solve crime, and be respectful to all.
DOES YOUR DEPARTMENT HAVE WHAT IT NEEDS IN TERMS OF RESOURCES TO KEEP THE COUNTY SAFE?
It is a challenge to maintain a well equipped department with trained, experienced personnel. The law enforcement sales tax passed a few years ago is helping us realize those goals, but we still have a long way to go. We started with a salary boost for all employees, then began to acquire reliable equipment for the patrolmen. We will continue that, but also need to work on our jail operations this next year.
I hope the good people of our community will see fit to support me for another term. We have established a good working relationship and I hope to continue working with them.