- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
Candidate questionnaire: Jonathan Dine
NAME: Jonathan Dine
PLACE OF BIRTH: Phoenix, Arizona
SPOUSE, CHILDREN'S NAMES:
Isabella Rose Dine
High School Diploma
OCCUPATION: Personal Trainer
EMPLOYER: Impact Fitness
BUSINESSES OWNED, ALL OR PART: Results Training & Nutrition
PUBLIC OFFICES HELD OR SOUGHT; GIVE DATES:
Libertarian Candidate for US Senate in 2010
BOTH HOUSES OF CONGRESS HAVE BEEN CRITICIZED FOR PARTISAN BICKERING AND DEADLOCK. HOW DO YOU THINK THOSE PROBLEMS SHOULD BE ADDRESSED?
Like many Americans I'm tired of the constant fighting of the Republican and Democrat politicians. Their Us vs Them mentality has grown hostile and counterproductive. Beating the other team has become more important than finding solutions to Americas problems. I believe we need to break up the stagnation with term limits across the board. Two 6 year terms for Senator, six 2 year terms for a congressman. Congress should be a revolving door of fresh ideas.
DO YOU THINK THE COUNTRY SHOULD DO MORE OR LESS TO REGULATE COMPANIES THAT EMIT GREENHOUSE GASES?
I realize that our planet's climate is constantly changing, but environmental advocates and social pressure are the most effective means of changing public behavior not the government. I support a clean and healthy environment and sensible use of our natural resources. Pollution and misuse of resources cause damage to our ecosystem. Governments, unlike private businesses, are unaccountable for such damage. Private landowners and conservation groups have a vested interest in maintaining natural resources.
THE FEDERAL DEFICIT IS NOW AT RECORD LEVELS. NAME THREE SPECIFIC THINGS YOU WOULD DO TO REDUCE OR ELIMINATE THE DEFICIT.:
I believe our career politicians have brought us to the brink of a fiscal disaster with their reckless tax, borrow and spend polices. I support balancing the budget in 2013 and I will vote NO to any legislation containing earmarks or where spending exceeds revenue. We need to make some tough choices. Its time to scale back on defense spending, talk about Reforming Entitlement programs, End the costly war on drugs and stop foreign aid.
I have an open mind and will listen to the people of this state. When I vote on Bills, or propose legislation I'll remember my life experiences and the people I represent. Not a party or a lobbyist. Supporting my candidacy means supporting a drastically lower tax level, smaller government and more personal freedom across the board. I will fight to keep the democrats out of your wallet and the republicans out of your bedroom.