- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
- Sugarfire Cape barbecue restaurant to open June 2018 (12/7/17)
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Wind brings down Wendy's sign in Cape Girardeau (12/11/17)2
- Harbor Freight Tools plans to move ahead with Cape Girardeau store (12/5/17)2
On Tuesday Gen. Colin L. Powell will kick off the highly anticipated Speaker Series at Southeast Missouri State University.
Powell's speech, titled "Diplomacy: Persuasion, Trust and Values" will be the first of several high-profile public speaking engagements brought to the university this school year.
Tony LaRussa, The Second City, John Legend, Michelle Kwan and Jeff Corwin will follow in the coming months.
Powell is a highly decorated military general, who served as national security adviser under President Ronald Reagan. He was chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff for President George H.W. Bush and President Bill Clinton and under President George W. Bush the country's 65th Secretary of State.
Powell has a lot to offer in the way of sharing leadership qualities. We encourage you to take advantage of the opportunity. Powell will speak at 7:30 p.m. in the Show Me Center. The event is open to the public. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at www.showmecenter.biz and the Show Me Center Box office. The event is free to Southeast faculty, staff and students; free tickets can be picked up at the University Center with a valid Redhawks ID.
The Speaker Series has been a popular and worthwhile endeavor. It is funded by a student-approved activity fee, and the lineup is decided, in large part, by a Southeast student committee.