- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Singer Neal Boyd dies after struggle with health issues (6/12/18)1
- Feeding deer in Bollinger, Cape and Perry counties prohibited soon to help curb spread of CWD (6/13/18)7
- Cape man charged with stabbing, killing dog for revenge (6/8/18)9
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)
- New Zaxby's restaurant open in Cape (6/13/18)3
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
On Tuesday Gen. Colin L. Powell will kick off the highly anticipated Speaker Series at Southeast Missouri State University.
Powell's speech, titled "Diplomacy: Persuasion, Trust and Values" will be the first of several high-profile public speaking engagements brought to the university this school year.
Tony LaRussa, The Second City, John Legend, Michelle Kwan and Jeff Corwin will follow in the coming months.
Powell is a highly decorated military general, who served as national security adviser under President Ronald Reagan. He was chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff for President George H.W. Bush and President Bill Clinton and under President George W. Bush the country's 65th Secretary of State.
Powell has a lot to offer in the way of sharing leadership qualities. We encourage you to take advantage of the opportunity. Powell will speak at 7:30 p.m. in the Show Me Center. The event is open to the public. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at www.showmecenter.biz and the Show Me Center Box office. The event is free to Southeast faculty, staff and students; free tickets can be picked up at the University Center with a valid Redhawks ID.
The Speaker Series has been a popular and worthwhile endeavor. It is funded by a student-approved activity fee, and the lineup is decided, in large part, by a Southeast student committee.