Out of the past 9/28/12

Friday, September 28, 2012

1987

The annual inspection of more than 1,000 city fire hydrants gets underway in Cape Girardeau; for the next eight weeks, Cape Girardeau Fire Department and Union Electric Co. personnel will inspect and test each fire hydrant in the city.

Almost a year after Honda moved from 2412 William St. to the Cape Girardeau Autopark in the 600 block of South Kingshighway, the Mazda dealership has also left William Street to join Honda at the Autopark.

1962

Elmo C. Martin, acting postmaster of Jackson, has received official notice that he has been approved as the town's permanent postmaster; Martin, a former state representative, has been acting postmaster for a little over a year.

The days of standing at State College football games are over; tomorrow, the new north side seating will officially open, although some fans used the stands for the two Central High games the previous two Saturdays; the new section, for students and the Golden Eagles band, will hold 2,000 football fans, bringing the total Houck Stadium capacity to 8,000.

1937

The Cape Girardeau Chamber of Commerce drive to raise funds to secure a Superior Electric Products Co. factory here continues to inch forward; contributions to the fund leave the goal $9,500 short at noon; the campaign has a bare 24 hours to go.

Southeast Missouri's giant oak tree in Mississippi County, likely the largest in the state, will fall before the march of commerce; workers, cutting away the virgin timber in the Three States tract, are nearing the location of the big tree; it will fall like the others, unless something is done quickly to preserve it.

1912

About 40 people attended the meeting last night at Haas' hall to discuss municipal ownership of utilities; the most surprising feature of the meeting was Dr. W.S. Dearmont's veiled attack on Louis Houck; the doctor took special pains to heap ridicule on Houck's recent protest against voting the city into another debt as soon as it is cleared of one which has been hanging over it for 40 years.

Emil Sebastian has moved into his beautiful new home on North Pacific Street, near the Normal School; Sebastian built on the site of his old home, which burned last year.

-- Sharon K. Sanders

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: