- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Though we just entered the fall season, Christmas is around the corner. Family and friends will reunite over the holiday season for church services, meals, gift giving and other traditions.
For many of our men and women in the armed forces, and their families, Christmas will be spent apart. However, thanks to the efforts of the Jackson VFW Post 10495, American Legion Post 158 and the Jackson Noon Optimist Club, several local families will be connected.
The organizations purchased books as part of Hallmark's Storybooks for Soldiers program. The books can record a reading of "'Twas the Night Before Christmas." After the recording, the books are sent to the serviceman's son or daughter for Christmas.
David Hitt, one of the organizers of the local effort, told the Southeast Missourian that several families have been identified and more are welcome. He said that the first batch of books would hopefully be sent to participating soldiers by Oct. 1, but they will still accept requests beyond that date. Hitt also noted that the deployed serviceman can be serving anywhere outside the United States to participate.
If you have a family member in the service who will not be home for Christmas, contact Hitt to request a book at 204-1068 or email@example.com.
We appreciate the effort made by the organizations. It's important to remember all of those who serve our country, and this is a worthy project that helps do just that at Christmas.