Out of the past 9/29/12

Saturday, September 29, 2012

1987

Southeast Missouri State University's share of state money for capital improvements over the past four fiscal years was third highest among state-funded colleges and university, shows a report released by the Missouri Coordinating Board for Higher Education; the university here received a total of $23,510,188 in capital appropriations during the four fiscal years of 1985-88.

Word has been received that Hanover Lutheran Church on Perryville Road has been placed on the prestigious National Register of Historic Places.

1962

The appeals of Douglas Wayne Thompson and Sammy Aire Tucker, convicted slayers of two Cape Girardeau police officers, have been taken under consideration by the Missouri Supreme Court; a decision may not be handed down for some time.

ORAN, Mo. -- A dream is to come true for Oran residents, who have long hoped for a city park; two things have figured in the realization: The generosity of Frank Pellegrino, who has donated $10,000 toward the purchase and improvements of the land for a park, and the approval by voters of a two-mill city tax for its upkeep.

1937

Handling of hard liquor as a matter of service in clubs or similar establishments which operate on a 5 percent beer licence is to be stopped by the state; there are between 15 and 20 such establishments in the immediate Cape Girardeau district.

Once more, the deadline to raise the funds to build a factory building here for Superior Electric Products Co. is pushed back several hours; only $9,000 remains to meet the goal set by the Chamber of Commerce.

1912

Nationally known temperance lecturer Mrs. Edith Smith Davis speaks in the morning at Centenary Methodist Church.

The steamer Rapids from Paducah, Ky., arrives here at 10 a.m. and leaves at noon, taking the race horses and other fair attractions from this city to Paducah to participate in the fair which begins there this week.

-- Sharon K. Sanders

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: