- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)12
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- 'Love, not hate': Area residents gather to sing, talk about racial issues after violence in Charlottesville (8/14/17)89
There's a unique opportunity to play golf in downtown Cape Girardeau this weekend. The First-Ever Seventh Annual Louis J. Lorimier Memorial World-Famous Downtown Golf Tournament and All-You-Can-Eat Catfish Buffet begins at 1:30 p.m. Sunday. Registration at the Common Pleas Courthouse begins at 1 p.m.
The annual tournament is played using BirdieBalls, which have a limited range. New to this year's event is a "History at the Hole." Volunteers from Southeast Missouri State's Historic Preservation Club will be at each hole, telling participants a brief nugget of local history.
Registration through tomorrow is $25. This price includes a round of golf, dinner at Port Cape Girardeau following the tournament and a T-shirt, available to the first 100 participants. Registration is $30 after Sept. 26 and continues through the day of the tournament as space allows. Tournament proceeds benefit the Red House Interpretive Center.
Registration forms have appeared in the Southeast Missourian and are also available online at www.cityofcapegirardeau.org/parks. For more information, call the Parks and Recreation office at 339-6340.
This is a neat tournament which has drawn dozens of participants in recent years. And the cause it supports is a good one. We hope you consider participating.