- Obama shortens sentence of inmate from Cape (1/19/17)9
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Area hospitals hope a box helps prevent infant deaths (1/19/17)6
- Jackson police describe night of anger, car crashes, drug possession by 18-year-old (1/22/17)5
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)8
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)4
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Local students to perform with choir at inauguration (1/19/17)3
- Southeast to lose $3.5 million from state in budget cuts (1/18/17)21
- Subjects of interest in 1992 killing take polygraph tests; results not revealed (1/18/17)2
The Southeast Missouri State University campus will be bustling this weekend as the university holds its annual Family Weekend.
The university has lined up several events for students and their parents over the next few days. Several festivities are scheduled for Saturday, including an Old Fashioned Backyard Picnic, River Campus and University Center activities and a football tailgate and game. To see a full schedule of Family Weekend activities, go to www.semo.edu/familyweekend.
While we hope students and parents consider participating in one or more of the university-sponsored events, Family Weekend is much more than a to-do list. It's a time for parents and their college students to reconnect.
The students, particularly freshmen, now enjoy more independence as they embrace college life. Nevertheless, parents still play an important role in the lives of their sons or daughters, and this weekend offers a good opportunity for visiting and family fun.
We welcome all the parents in town for the weekend. Cape Girardeau is a wonderful place, and we hope you enjoy your time here with your student.