- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)4
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)3
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)32
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
- Cape woman hopes son's death in Chattanooga will lead to better policing (11/30/16)11
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
The Southeast Missouri State University campus will be bustling this weekend as the university holds its annual Family Weekend.
The university has lined up several events for students and their parents over the next few days. Several festivities are scheduled for Saturday, including an Old Fashioned Backyard Picnic, River Campus and University Center activities and a football tailgate and game. To see a full schedule of Family Weekend activities, go to www.semo.edu/familyweekend.
While we hope students and parents consider participating in one or more of the university-sponsored events, Family Weekend is much more than a to-do list. It's a time for parents and their college students to reconnect.
The students, particularly freshmen, now enjoy more independence as they embrace college life. Nevertheless, parents still play an important role in the lives of their sons or daughters, and this weekend offers a good opportunity for visiting and family fun.
We welcome all the parents in town for the weekend. Cape Girardeau is a wonderful place, and we hope you enjoy your time here with your student.