- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)5
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
The Southeast Missouri State University campus will be bustling this weekend as the university holds its annual Family Weekend.
The university has lined up several events for students and their parents over the next few days. Several festivities are scheduled for Saturday, including an Old Fashioned Backyard Picnic, River Campus and University Center activities and a football tailgate and game. To see a full schedule of Family Weekend activities, go to www.semo.edu/familyweekend.
While we hope students and parents consider participating in one or more of the university-sponsored events, Family Weekend is much more than a to-do list. It's a time for parents and their college students to reconnect.
The students, particularly freshmen, now enjoy more independence as they embrace college life. Nevertheless, parents still play an important role in the lives of their sons or daughters, and this weekend offers a good opportunity for visiting and family fun.
We welcome all the parents in town for the weekend. Cape Girardeau is a wonderful place, and we hope you enjoy your time here with your student.