- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
The Southeast Missouri State University campus will be bustling this weekend as the university holds its annual Family Weekend.
The university has lined up several events for students and their parents over the next few days. Several festivities are scheduled for Saturday, including an Old Fashioned Backyard Picnic, River Campus and University Center activities and a football tailgate and game. To see a full schedule of Family Weekend activities, go to www.semo.edu/familyweekend.
While we hope students and parents consider participating in one or more of the university-sponsored events, Family Weekend is much more than a to-do list. It's a time for parents and their college students to reconnect.
The students, particularly freshmen, now enjoy more independence as they embrace college life. Nevertheless, parents still play an important role in the lives of their sons or daughters, and this weekend offers a good opportunity for visiting and family fun.
We welcome all the parents in town for the weekend. Cape Girardeau is a wonderful place, and we hope you enjoy your time here with your student.