- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Cape airport to host open house, 'fun day' on Saturday
Aviation will be showcased this weekend at the Cape Girardeau Regional Airport Open House and Fun Day on Saturday.
The event will begin with a pancake breakfast from 8 to 10 a.m. at Sandy's Place restaurant, with the open-house activities beginning after breakfast and continuing until 4 p.m. The open house is free and open to the public. The Cape Girardeau Regional Airport is off Interstate 55.
"We want to give people a taste of aviation," airport director Bruce Loy said. "We want to showcase the airport."
The event will include demonstrations, activities and informational displays. According to Loy, many forms of aviation will be showcased. Airplane and helicopter flights will be available and visitors can use a flight simulator used for training. Some of the other demonstrations will include sky diving, crop dusting, a flour drop from an airplane and radio controlled model aircraft flights by the Southeast Missouri Modelers Association. Aside from aviation, the Missouri State Highway Patrol will give a K-9 demonstration. Police and fire departments are scheduled to perform a simulated auto accident extraction with a patient being airlifted by helicopter. Pilots, mechanics and flight schools will be available to answer questions regarding careers in aviation.
Airplanes, fire trucks, military jeeps and other automobiles will be on display. Discovery Playhouse KidZone will have aviation activities for children along with a bounce house.
According to Loy, the airport board got the idea for the open house because "we wanted to do something to show the airport and invite the people to come
Loy said, "We hope people come away with a feeling of what the airport does to benefit the community and give people a better feel for the economic benefits of the airport to the region."
Most of all, Loy said, he wants people to have fun.
"Aviation is fun," said Loy. "We want people to enjoy this fun experience."
The open house is sponsored by the city of Cape Girardeau and the Cape Girardeau Regional Airport. For more information, contact the airport at 334-6230 or email@example.com
Cape Girardeau Regional Airport, Cape Girardeau, MO