- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
High school roundup: Jackson Invitational goes without championship game after rain
No champion was crowned at the Jackson Invitational softball tournament after rain wiped out the first- and third-place games Saturday evening.
Central defeated Scott City 9-3 to win fifth place earlier in the day at the Shawnee Parks Sports Complex in Cape Girardeau.
The third-place matchup between host Jackson and Kelly and the championship game between Notre Dame and Festus were postponed. Jackson and Kelly agreed to use their regular season game on Oct. 1 to determine the third place winner.
The championship game will not be rescheduled, according to Jackson coach Amanda Forester.
Notre Dame 5, Hillsboro 0
Luke Mocherman scored a goal and had an assist to lead the Bulldogs to the win at home.
Carson Bruenderman, Matthew Parsons, Jake Janet and Jake Powderly also scored for Notre Dame. Logan Buchheit, Kenrick Niedbalski and Riley Bauer recorded assists.
Goalkeeper Thomas Himmelberg snagged five saves for the Bulldogs (5-2).
JV -- Notre Dame won 7-0.
Jackson 9, Mehlville 0
The Jackson girls tennis team won both of its matches at a quad meet Saturday at Southeast Missouri State University.
The undefeated Indians swept Mehlville and Oakville 9-0 to improve to 12-0.
No. 1 -- Jenny Powell (J) def. Sabrina Okanovic 8-0
No. 2 -- Jackie McNally (J) def. Monica Wanninger 8-4
No. 3 -- Montana Adams (J) def. Suriya Subramanian 8-1
No. 4 -- Katelyn Kuppart (J) def. Kaela Luna 8-2
No. 5 -- Lucy Kunz (J) def. Irma Hamzagic 8-1
No. 6 -- Laina Marble (J) def. Nadza Dzidic 8-1
No. 1 -- Powell-Adams (J) def. Okanovic-Wanninger 6-4, 6-2
No. 2 -- Kuppart-Marble (J) def. Subramanian-Luna 6-1, 6-1
No. 3 -- Kunz-McNally (J) def. Hamzagic-Dzidic 6-1, 6-2
JV -- Jackson won 2-1
Jackson 9, Oakville 0
No. 1 -- Jenny Powell (J) def. Emily Bartz-Mills 8-1
No. 2 -- Jackie McNally (J) def. Carly Lanscresieck 8-3
No. 3 -- Montana Adams (J) def. Abby Bergman 8-2
No. 4 -- Katelyn Kuppart (J) def. Jamie Vergano 8-6
No. 5 -- Lucy Kunz (J) def. Ashlyn Ball 8-3
No. 6 -- Laina Marble (J) def. Kate Giles 8-4
No. 1 -- Powell-Adams (J) def. Bartz-Mills/Vergano 6-0, 6-1
No. 2 -- Kuppart-Marble (J) def. Lanscresieck-Bergman 6-1, 6-2
No. 3 -- Kunz-McNally (J) def. Ball-Giles 6-3, 6-3
JV -- Oakville won 2-1
-- From staff reports