- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)26
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Tunes features Joe and Vicki Price
Joe and Vicki Price will furnish the music at Tunes at Twilight at 6:30 p.m. today at the Common Pleas Courthouse gazebo in Cape Girardeau. Those attending are encouraged to bring blankets, lawn chairs and snacks. The concert is free to all ages. For more information, call Old Town Cape at 334-8085 or visit www.oldtowncape.org/events.
Cape theater presents 1986 Queen concert
Wehrenberg Cape West 14 Cine will host "Hungarian Rhapsody: Queen Live in Budapest" at 7:30 p.m. Thursday. On July 27, 1986, Queen performed at the Nepstadium in Budapest before 80,000 fans, part of the band's last tour with lead singer Freddie Mercury. The concert film has been remastered in high definition. Along with the concert, which includes "Bohemian Rhapsody," "Crazy Little Thing Called Love," "I Want to Break Free" and "We Are the Champions," the feature includes a documentary giving the inside track on events leading up to the Budapest concert. For more information, call 314-640-7640.
Area singer/songwriter releases music video
Cape Girardeau resident Matt Irwin has released a music video for his song "Goodbye Starlight." The video was produced locally and features many downtown Cape Girardeau locations, such as the floodwall mural, the Common Pleas Courthouse, the Bill Emerson Memorial Bridge and the River Campus. Irwin, a graduate of Oran High School, has performed at several local venues and has been a Cape Girardeau resident the last 11 years. His video can be viewed at www.youtube.com/mattimusicvids and at www.reverbnation.com/mattirwin along with some of his other music compositions. For more information, call Irwin at 573-587-3765 or Dave Parsons at 573-587-3171.
Orchestra opens with 'Symphony Sampler'
The Southeast Missouri Symphony Orchestra kicks off its 2012-2013 concert season with a "Symphony Sampler" at 2 p.m. Sunday at the Shuck Recital Hall on the River Campus. This short concert will include brief selections of music to be performed during the upcoming season, as well as an introduction to the instruments of the orchestra. Drawings for free tickets to upcoming concerts will be held, and patrons will have the opportunity to purchase individual or season tickets to the symphony series. For more information, contact the Department of Music at 651-2141.
-- From staff reports