- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)23
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Mo. chamber backs Spence for Mo. governor
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- The Missouri Chamber of Commerce and Industry has endorsed Republican Dave Spence in his challenge of Democratic Gov. Jay Nixon.
The chamber's political committee announced its endorsement Thursday. It cited Spence's business experience and his support for two chamber priorities -- new limits on liability lawsuits, and changes to the workers' compensation system.
Since it began making endorsements in 1992, the chamber has never backed a Democratic gubernatorial candidate.
The endorsement was publicized a day after lawmakers failed to override Nixon's veto of a bill that would have retroactively reinstated local taxes on vehicles bought out of state or from individuals.
The chamber and Spence both had supported the bill as a way to help Missouri vehicle dealers. But the chamber said its endorsement was unrelated to the veto session.