- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Panda Express restaurant coming to Cape's Siemers Drive (2/14/17)2
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Golden Corral nearing opening; soft open scheduled for Monday or Tuesday (2/12/17)8
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)21
- Southeast reports three confirmed cases of mumps; more cases possible (2/14/17)1
- Right to Work and Taxes (2/10/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
Grenade found in Anna, Ill., newspaper office
ANNA, Ill. -- A grenade on a desk set off a scare that caused the evacuation of two blocks in Anna on Thursday.
Police received a call at 8:35 a.m., according to an Anna Police Department news release, saying a hand grenade was found on a desk at the Democrat-Gazette newspaper. Police evacuated a two-block area while the Illinois Secretary of State Bomb Squad came in and removed the grenade at about 11:45 a.m. By noon the area was deemed all clear.
A suspect was identified as a man who was a contract cleaner, according to the release. The man said in an interview with Illinois State Police that he had left the grenade, which apparently wasn't live, on the desk Wednesday as a paperweight for the newspaper owner.
It wasn't clear Thursday whether any charges would be filed.