- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)21
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
If you like classic cars, you'll want to head to downtown Cape Girardeau this weekend for the River Tales Classic Car Show.
Sponsored by the River City Rodders, the show is now in its 35th year. Last year 150 vehicles were on hand, and according to Danny Essner, about 200 are expected this year if the weather is good.
While cars are the big attraction for most attendees, the show is just one component. Downtown Cape Girardeau offers a number of historical attractions and shopping options. On Sunday there will also be food and craft vendors, a 50-50 drawing and oldies music playing.
The fun kicks off Saturday with a free cruise from 4 to 7 p.m. at Capaha Park where there will be free hot dogs and drinks.
On Sunday, the show will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Registration begins at 8 a.m. and ends at noon.
Essner said a new attraction of particular interest to children this year will be a guest appearance by Mater, a character from the movie "Cars." One of the River City Rodders club members purchased a vehicle that looks like the movie's animated figure.
Though the show is free to all spectators, proceeds benefit local causes, including Toybox.
Speaking of classic cars, we encourage you to check out the Southeast Missourian Ride of the Week every Wednesday in the classified section. To all classic car owners, consider submitting your car to be included in this feature at www.semissourian.com/forms/ride.