- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)16
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)14
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two local lawmakers back charter school bill; Perryville lawmaker objects to measure (3/19/17)24
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Lawmakers put prevailing wage in crosshairs; laborers object (2/12/17)10
If you like classic cars, you'll want to head to downtown Cape Girardeau this weekend for the River Tales Classic Car Show.
Sponsored by the River City Rodders, the show is now in its 35th year. Last year 150 vehicles were on hand, and according to Danny Essner, about 200 are expected this year if the weather is good.
While cars are the big attraction for most attendees, the show is just one component. Downtown Cape Girardeau offers a number of historical attractions and shopping options. On Sunday there will also be food and craft vendors, a 50-50 drawing and oldies music playing.
The fun kicks off Saturday with a free cruise from 4 to 7 p.m. at Capaha Park where there will be free hot dogs and drinks.
On Sunday, the show will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Registration begins at 8 a.m. and ends at noon.
Essner said a new attraction of particular interest to children this year will be a guest appearance by Mater, a character from the movie "Cars." One of the River City Rodders club members purchased a vehicle that looks like the movie's animated figure.
Though the show is free to all spectators, proceeds benefit local causes, including Toybox.
Speaking of classic cars, we encourage you to check out the Southeast Missourian Ride of the Week every Wednesday in the classified section. To all classic car owners, consider submitting your car to be included in this feature at www.semissourian.com/forms/ride.