- Mary Jane bourbon + smokehouse + Cape (7/9/18)4
- Dexter Bar-B-Que in Jackson moving location (7/12/18)1
- Voters to choose from crowded field for Scott County presiding commissioner (7/10/18)1
- Car packages: Local stores adding pickup services as part of nationwide trend (7/14/18)1
- Developer: Construction moving into new phases on Marriott (7/12/18)1
- New safety measures being put in place in Jackson School District (7/11/18)3
- Harbor Freight to open next week in Cape Girardeau (7/10/18)
- Former police officer, disabled vet vie for state representative seat (7/11/18)2
- Business Notebook: A flexible future: Yoga East Healing Arts Studio has a new owner in Sue Greenwood (7/9/18)
- 'It's just time': PFLAG chapter starting in Cape (7/6/18)34
President's answer is nonsensical
President Obama recently said, "When our opponents say this nation is in decline, they are dead wrong."
Meanwhile, Mr. Obama, the latest Global Competitiveness Report places the U.S.in 7th place worldwide, a drop from 5th last year.
There are 1.9 million fewer people employed today since you signed the stimulus bill.
The Department of Labor says we now have a record number sitting at home, no longer in the civilian labor force.
Your answer to rebuilding America is nonsensical. "Shared sacrifice" and punish the job creators by "taxing the rich."
Thomas Jefferson once said, "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
Under your leadership, Mr. President, we now have 46.7 million people on food stamps. Our unemployment rate of over 8 percent is now in the longest stretch since the year I was born, 1948.
The American taxpayers gave you over $800 billion to fix the economy. The stimulus failed, but you want four more years of the same policies.
This analogy I recently heard says it best. I give $800 to a mechanic to fix my car because it's not running right. Four days later I go back to pick it up, and it's still not fixed. The mechanic looks at me and says, "Trust me. Give me another $800 and I'm sure, this time, I'll get it right."
Mr. Obama, the answer is crystal clear: No.
WILLIAM PIERCEY SR., Jackson