- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- Former Chaffee officer faces DWI charge (8/20/17)2
- PBS crew filming in Cape; Glenn House to be featured (8/17/17)
- Scott City Council reinstates police chief (8/16/17)1
- Near miss: Woman 'lucky' following train incident (8/16/17)
EDITOR'S NOTE: This story has been edited to reflect the date of Missionfest.
When you think about the number of people involved in local ministries, it's incredibly encouraging.
Nearly all churches have outreach ministries, in addition to independent organizations. These people help the poor, feed the hungry, minister to those struggling with addictions, and much more. Their faith calls them to do this, and through this lives are being changed.
Mission work is being done locally and abroad. This community has rallied around causes to help others across the globe. From food packing events, to fundraisers to help dig wells, among other efforts, the people in this community have a heart for missions.
With all this good work going on, it makes sense to hold an event bringing folks together to share about the many opportunities. Thanks to the organizational efforts of a group of friends representing several churches and denominations, this will happen Oct. 27 when Missionfest is held at the Osage Centre in Cape Girardeau. Exhibits will be on hand from 1 to 4 p.m. and a worship service will follow from 4 to 5 p.m. The keynote speaker for the service is John Volinsky, senior director of church relations for WorldVision.
Christian faith-based churches or organizations may register an exhibit for free, and there is no charge to attend.
According to Cheryl Mothes, one of the organizers, 22 exhibits have been confirmed. The deadline to register an exhibit is Oct. 20, and this can be done by contacting Mothes by phone at 450-6269 or by email at email@example.com. The groups also has a website, missionfestcape.org, that will be up and running soon.
Thank you to all those who participate in local ministries and to the Missionfest organizers for their efforts. We hope you consider attending what looks to be an uplifting event.