- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Suspect arrested in fatal Sikeston stabbing
SIKESTON, Mo. -- Sikeston police say they have a suspect in custody in connection to a body found in the basement of a home there.
Melvin Lawrence Harris, 23, of Sikeston was arrested and charged with first-degree murder and armed criminal action in the death of his girlfriend.
Police found the body of 28-year-old Danielle Keown in the basement at 867 Stanford Drive at about 11 a.m. Friday, according to a news release from the Sikeston Department of Public Safety. Due to clues at the scene police suspected foul play immediately, according to the release.
Sikeston police called in assistance from the New Madrid County sheriff, Missouri State Highway Patrol and the SEMO Major Case Squad. The case appears to be a domestic dispute that happened Thursday night between Harris and Keown. According to the news release, a struggle occurred in the basement and ended with the Keown's fatal stabbing.
867 Stanford Drive, Sikeston, MO