- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)4
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)11
- Witness says he saw man shoot Domorlo McCaster (8/19/16)2
- Southeast imposes 'interim suspension' of Sigma Nu fraternity over vandalism incident (8/19/16)21
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Pitmasters to descend on Arena Park for Cape BBQ Fest (8/19/16)2
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- Gender-neutral restrooms now available at Southeast (8/18/16)38
For sports enthusiasts, this time of year offers an abundance of competitive action. The Major League Baseball regular season is approaching the finish line, with October baseball just around the corner. Wednesday night kicked off the NFL season. And college and high school football, among other fall sports, are in full swing.
On Saturday the Southeast Missouri State University football team hosts its home opener with a 6 p.m. contest against Mars Hill College. Though the Redhawks lost their season opener to Central Michigan last Thursday, the team looked good overall.
Coach Tony Samuel was impressed with quarterback Scott Lathrop, who was making his college football debut. Lathrop wasn't projected to be the Redhawks starting quarterback, but an injury to Kyle Snyder led to the redshirt freshman's opportunity.
Two years removed from the team's first Ohio Valley Conference championship and playoff berth, the Redhawks look to again be competitive. We hope you consider cheering on the team Saturday, and throughout the season, at Houck Stadium.