North Korea says typhoon killed 48, damaged homes

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

SEOUL, South Korea -- North Korea said a typhoon that hit the peninsula last week killed 48 people and left 21,000 homeless.

The update from the official Korean Central News Agency said Monday that Typhoon Bolaven also left more than 50 people injured or missing, damaged 123,550 acres of farmland and destroyed or inundated 6,700 houses.

The typhoon also killed 15 people in South Korea.

The North is still recovering from floods since June that have killed 170 people and damaged thousands of homes.

A second typhoon that hit the Korean peninsula late last week caused no deaths in the South. The North's official media has not mentioned damage from that storm.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: