- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Missouri state troopers to be out in force over Labor Day weekend
POPLAR BLUFF, Mo. -- While Southeast Missouri residents enjoy a break during the Labor Day weekend, Missouri State Highway Patrol officers will be on the job.
Once again, officers in Troop E will take part in the 20-Mile Trooper project to promote safety and to reduce the number of crashes in the Troop E area from Aug. 31 through Sept. 3.
According to Capt. George E. Ridens, Troop E will post a trooper every 20 miles on interstates 55 and 57 and on selected secondary roads. The objective of the project is to place a trooper close to motorists who may need help and to enforce traffic laws, he said.
"This weekend is the traditional end of the summer season, and we will make every effort to keep the motoring public safe during their travels," Ridens said in a news release. "Last year, we saw a 9 percent increase in fatalities in the Troop E area, and we will do everything we can to reduce this statistic. So, please, wear your seat belt and don't drink and drive."