- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)31
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Emma Elizabeth Backer, 91, of Cape Girardeau passed away Saturday, Aug. 25, 2012, at the Lutheran Home.
She was born Nov. 3, 1920, in Grover, Colo., to Fred and Clara Schierenbeck Ehmke. Emma and Christian Ernest Backer were married Feb. 28, 1943, in Cheyenne, Wyo. He preceded her in death May 5, 1984.
Mrs. Backer was a devoted mother. In Cheyenne, she worked at Schrader Funeral Home and was a personal assistant to Mrs. Elizabeth Hoffmann. She moved to Cape Girardeau in 1990 and was an active member of Good Shepherd Lutheran Chapel.
Survivors include a daughter, Letha (George) Chambers of Dublin, Ohio; a son, Leroy (Isabel) Backer of Atoka, Tenn.; a son-in-law, Steven (Marilyn) Fritzler of Cape Girardeau; a brother, John Ehmke of Grover; seven grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents; husband, Chris; two brothers, Elmer and Fred Ehmke; a daughter, Lois Fritzler; and two grandchildren, Adam and Clara Fritzler.
Visitation will be from 2:30 to 4 p.m. Friday at Good Shepherd Lutheran Chapel.
The funeral will follow immediately. Burial will be Tuesday in Memorial Gardens Cemetery in Cheyenne, with visitation beginning at 9 a.m. and graveside service at 10 a.m.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to Good Shepherd Lutheran Chapel or Fritzler-Backer Endowment Fund at St. Paul's Lutheran High School in Concordia, Mo.
Ford and Sons Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Online condolences may be made at www.fordandsonsfuneralhome.com.