- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
MOUNDS, Ill. -- Leola Grace Richards, 81, of Mounds passed away Monday, Aug. 27, 2012, at Daystar Care Center in Cairo, Ill.
She was born July 13, 1931, in Pulaski, Ill., daughter of Willis and Wilma Edwards Richards.
Grace was a member of Center Methodist Church near Olmsted, Ill., an active member of Ladies Auxiliary of American Legion Post 178 of Villa Ridge, Ill., and was very active in various community events.
She served as city clerk for Mounds, and later became mayor in 2001. She owned and operated Grace's Beauty Shop in Mounds many years.
Grace was preceded in death by her parents; a cousin whom she raised, Glen Richards; a sister-in-law, Margaret Ann Richards; and a brother-in-law, Le Roy Watson.
Survivors include two sisters, Marie Watson and Janet Sue (Paul) Farris of Villa Ridge; a brother, James "Jim" Richards of Mounds; a cousin, Mary Richards Hurley; and several nieces and nephews.
Friends may call from 5 to 8 p.m. Friday at Jones Funeral Home in Villa Ridge, with an American Legion Ladies Auxiliary service, and from 11:30 a.m. until service time Saturday at Center Methodist Church.
The funeral will be at 1 p.m. Saturday at the church, with the Rev. Buddy Walls officiating. Interment will be in Cache Chapel Cemetery east of Ullin, Ill.
Expressions of sympathy may take the form of memorials to the American Legion Building Fund, c/o James Richards, 223 N. Delaware St., Mounds, IL 62964, in memory of Grace Richards.