- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)24
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
10th Anniversary Elks 639 Masters at the Lake
In the record heat of the summer, the Cape Girardeau Elks Lodge #639 hosted the 10th Anniversary of the "Masters at the Lake", a tennis ball golf fundraiser held at the Elks' lake 9-hole golf course and run by Elks volunteers to raise money for different charities each year. Local businesses and individuals have been generous with hole sponsorships, as well as, nice items for auctions. This year $10,000 was raised which was split 50/50 between "Hope for Veterans" and the "Elks Eyeglasses for Children Fund". The event was held on June 30, 2012 which was one of the hottest days of the summer! The Elks' 4th of July Fireworks was scheduled that day also but had to be cancelled due to the fire hazard! The fireworks alone draws a big crowd every year; the display is always one of the best in the area. The event would have raised much more if the weather had cooperated.
A $5000 check was presented to Chris Amacker with Hope for Veterans, a local charity that helps veterans who are not in the system yet to receive help with things like transportation to medical visits and temporary housing. This organization was recommended by the Missouri Veterans Home, who has worked extensively with them. A deposit of the same amount went into the Eyeglasses for Children Fund which buys glasses for children that can't afford them.
Pictured left to right:
Bob Ward, ER; Cary Prince, Entertainment/Masters Chairman; Mary Prince, Masters Co-Chair; Pam Evans, Lady Elks President; Terri Prost, Entertainment Co-chair; Terry Shackles; Charlotte Shackles; and Chris Amacker, Hope for Veterans. Committee members not pictured: Linda Hodges, Jason Ledure, Jared Holloway, Lola & Don Seabaugh, Tish Barnes, and Steve Kirchoff.
The Elks Lodge is a non-profit charitible organization that helps the community in many ways throughout the year.
Thanks to everyone who helped make the 10th Anniversary successful!