- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/21/16)5
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)1
10th Anniversary Elks 639 Masters at the Lake
In the record heat of the summer, the Cape Girardeau Elks Lodge #639 hosted the 10th Anniversary of the "Masters at the Lake", a tennis ball golf fundraiser held at the Elks' lake 9-hole golf course and run by Elks volunteers to raise money for different charities each year. Local businesses and individuals have been generous with hole sponsorships, as well as, nice items for auctions. This year $10,000 was raised which was split 50/50 between "Hope for Veterans" and the "Elks Eyeglasses for Children Fund". The event was held on June 30, 2012 which was one of the hottest days of the summer! The Elks' 4th of July Fireworks was scheduled that day also but had to be cancelled due to the fire hazard! The fireworks alone draws a big crowd every year; the display is always one of the best in the area. The event would have raised much more if the weather had cooperated.
A $5000 check was presented to Chris Amacker with Hope for Veterans, a local charity that helps veterans who are not in the system yet to receive help with things like transportation to medical visits and temporary housing. This organization was recommended by the Missouri Veterans Home, who has worked extensively with them. A deposit of the same amount went into the Eyeglasses for Children Fund which buys glasses for children that can't afford them.
Pictured left to right:
Bob Ward, ER; Cary Prince, Entertainment/Masters Chairman; Mary Prince, Masters Co-Chair; Pam Evans, Lady Elks President; Terri Prost, Entertainment Co-chair; Terry Shackles; Charlotte Shackles; and Chris Amacker, Hope for Veterans. Committee members not pictured: Linda Hodges, Jason Ledure, Jared Holloway, Lola & Don Seabaugh, Tish Barnes, and Steve Kirchoff.
The Elks Lodge is a non-profit charitible organization that helps the community in many ways throughout the year.
Thanks to everyone who helped make the 10th Anniversary successful!