- Krispy Kreme coming to Cape Girardeau (12/14/17)2
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Two Cape County residents, including former Jackson police officer, face burglary charges in Colorado (12/12/17)
- Cape schools to get two new principals, assistant superintendent (12/13/17)1
- Kelso resident brings home $60K in lottery winnings (12/14/17)
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Insurance building's renovation part of Coalter family's commitment to region (12/15/17)3
- Three-vehicle wreck ends up with parked car crashing through business wall (12/16/17)3
- Wind brings down Wendy's sign in Cape Girardeau (12/11/17)2
Cure for Cape
Saturday night there will be dinner, dancing and an auction at the Venue in Cape Girardeau as the American Cancer Society hosts A Cure for Cape Cancer Gala.
This is the 25th year for the organization's annual fundraiser. Last year's gala raised more that $99,000. These much needed funds help in a variety of ways, from cancer prevention measures to treatment and research.
Whether you've been diagnosed with the disease or watched a family member or friend fight it, all of us can point to examples of how cancer affects lives.
No one wants to hear the words, "You've got cancer." However, thanks to early detection options and advanced research, more people are surviving. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention notes on its website that in 1971 there were 3 million cancer survivors. In 2007 there were 11.7 million survivors.
The festivities begin with dinner at 7 p.m. A live auction kicks off at 8 p.m., with dancing following from 9 to 11:30 p.m.
Thanks to all those who make this local gala the successful event it has become.
We hope you consider attending.