- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)2
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)15
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Advance graduate will become superintendent of its schools (06/21/16)1
- Odd court hearing ends with judge declaring probable cause in abuse case (06/22/16)4
- Business notebook: Plastics firm moves to area to help laid-off workers (06/20/16)1
Cure for Cape
Saturday night there will be dinner, dancing and an auction at the Venue in Cape Girardeau as the American Cancer Society hosts A Cure for Cape Cancer Gala.
This is the 25th year for the organization's annual fundraiser. Last year's gala raised more that $99,000. These much needed funds help in a variety of ways, from cancer prevention measures to treatment and research.
Whether you've been diagnosed with the disease or watched a family member or friend fight it, all of us can point to examples of how cancer affects lives.
No one wants to hear the words, "You've got cancer." However, thanks to early detection options and advanced research, more people are surviving. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention notes on its website that in 1971 there were 3 million cancer survivors. In 2007 there were 11.7 million survivors.
The festivities begin with dinner at 7 p.m. A live auction kicks off at 8 p.m., with dancing following from 9 to 11:30 p.m.
Thanks to all those who make this local gala the successful event it has become.
We hope you consider attending.