- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)36
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
High school roundup: Jackson falls in softball season opener
The Seckman softball team pulled away in the top of the seventh inning after Jackson closed within a run during their season opener Wednesday.
The Indians fell 12-5 after the Jaguars scored six runs in the seventh.
Demesha Huddleston led Jackson with two hits, including a double, and a pair of RBIs.
Kaitlyn McHughs and Casey Holzum both went 2 for 3 for the Indians.
Mallory Jones suffered the loss in the circle. She struck out two and walked five.
WP -- Strickland. LP -- Mallory Jones. 3B -- Alison Szydlowski (S). 2B -- Demesha Huddleson (J), Roni Knittig (S), Szydlowski (S), Montgomery (S). Multiple hits -- Seckman: Knittig 2-5, Szydlowski 3-4, Montgomery 2-4, Heimsotn 3-4; Jackson Huddleston 2-3, Kaitlyn McHughs 2-3, Casey Holzum 2-3. Records -- Seckman 1-0, Jackson 0-1.
Notre Dame 3, Anna-Jonesboro 2
The Bulldogs opened their season by slipping past visiting Anna-Jonesboro (Ill.) on penalty kicks.
The teams were tied 2-2 after regulation. Neither side scored during two 10-minute sudden-death overtime periods.
Notre Dame then prevailed by converting three of five penalty kicks, while A-J converted just two.
Luke Mocherman and Christian Westrich scored the regulation goals for the Bulldogs. They also recorded assists.
Matthew Parsons, Mocherman and Logan Buchheit converted the penalty kicks in the win.
Eldorado 169, Notre Dame 184, Anna-Jonesboro 223
Camille Brewer led the Bulldogs with a 5-over-par 41 at Union County Golf Club.
Eldorado's Ashton Goodley took medalist honors with a 38.
Morgan Schumer (45), Amy Blattel (49) and Mattie Beussink (49) rounded out Notre Dame's scoring.
The Bulldogs return to action today at the 10-team Rockwood Summit girls golf invitational.
-- From staff reports