- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- Owner of Mary Jane Burgers & Brew in Perryville to open new culinary concept in Cape (9/15/17)3
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)2
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
- Jury finds Harris guilty of murder, 3 other counts (9/15/17)4
- Former major-league slugger Darryl Strawberry to speak at La Croix (9/20/17)
- Young entrepreneurs add fresh ideas, unique offerings for area market (9/18/17)
Friday night kicks off the regular season for many area high school football teams. These games are always spirited contests, especially when rival schools take the field.
In today's Southeast Missourian there's a local high school preview, featuring stories, rosters and photos of teams in our coverage area. We encourage you to check this out as you prepare for this season's matchups.
While football is a popular sport among many, there are several other men's and women's fall sports -- including softball, soccer, tennis, cross country and volleyball -- that have started their seasons. We commend all the athletes and wish them much success this fall.
We encourage you to attend one or more contests in the weeks ahead. While many parents and friends of the athletes attend on a regular basis, it's good to show your support for local teams regardless of your connection.
Sports teach us many lessons, including teamwork, preparation and responsibility. These are things the athletes will carry with them beyond their playing days.
While vigorous competition is good, it's important for the athletes, coaches and parents to prioritize safety. Be alert to these issues and ask a doctor, trainer or other health professional questions about ways to prevent injury.
We wish all the teams well and encourage you to follow our coverage in the Southeast Missourian and semoball.com.