- Former Sikeston DPS director denies knowing about allegations against detective (7/20/17)1
- Compliance check results in underage citations at four Cape bars (7/19/17)1
- 49-year-old homicide victim found in Cape (7/20/17)
- Buffalo Wild Wings to hold fundraiser Wednesday for ailing Cape officer (7/19/17)1
- Chaffee City Council fires officer facing criminal charge (7/23/17)1
- At least one Perryville cop disciplined for misconduct (7/20/17)1
- Sikeston detective's files about murder suspect missing from DPS (7/18/17)1
- More details emerge in Perryville police-misconduct case (7/21/17)
- Cape homicide victim identified (7/21/17)
- Painted-rock hunts catch fire in Cape area (7/20/17)
Friday night kicks off the regular season for many area high school football teams. These games are always spirited contests, especially when rival schools take the field.
In today's Southeast Missourian there's a local high school preview, featuring stories, rosters and photos of teams in our coverage area. We encourage you to check this out as you prepare for this season's matchups.
While football is a popular sport among many, there are several other men's and women's fall sports -- including softball, soccer, tennis, cross country and volleyball -- that have started their seasons. We commend all the athletes and wish them much success this fall.
We encourage you to attend one or more contests in the weeks ahead. While many parents and friends of the athletes attend on a regular basis, it's good to show your support for local teams regardless of your connection.
Sports teach us many lessons, including teamwork, preparation and responsibility. These are things the athletes will carry with them beyond their playing days.
While vigorous competition is good, it's important for the athletes, coaches and parents to prioritize safety. Be alert to these issues and ask a doctor, trainer or other health professional questions about ways to prevent injury.
We wish all the teams well and encourage you to follow our coverage in the Southeast Missourian and semoball.com.