- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Two killed in accidents near Puxico, Poplar Bluff
PUXICO, Mo. -- Two people died in separate accidents in the Missouri State Highway Patrol's Troop E area on Tuesday.
At 12:40 p.m., the highway patrol was summoned to a wreck on Highway 51, five miles north of Puxico. According to the patrol, 53-year-old Maryann C. Cookson, of Puxico, was northbound when she apparently overcorrected, traveled off the right side of the road and overturned several times. She was pronounced dead at the scene by Stoddard County Coroner Aaron Mathis.
The patrol reported that Cookson was wearing a seat belt at the time of the wreck.
At 9:35 Tuesday night, a 30-year-old Poplar Bluff man was killed while riding a bicycle on Route M, two miles south of Poplar Bluff.
Joseph W. Wright was westbound on Route M when he was struck from behind by a 2011 Dodge Ram pickup truck driven by Mitchell D. McDaniel, 28, also of Poplar Bluff. Wright was transported to Poplar Bluff Regional Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.
Less than an hour following the wreck, the patrol charged McDaniel with involuntary manslaughter. He was taken to the Butler County Jail on a 24-hour hold.
The fatalities mark the 37th and 38th traffic-related deaths in Troop E for the 2012 year.
Highway 51, Puxico, MO
Route M, Poplar Bluff, MO