- Krispy Kreme coming to Cape Girardeau (12/14/17)2
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Jury convicts Scott City man who confessed to murder; girlfriend's testimony corroborates confession (12/9/17)
- Cape schools to get two new principals, assistant superintendent (12/13/17)1
- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Two Cape County residents, including former Jackson police officer, face burglary charges in Colorado (12/12/17)
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Kelso resident brings home $60K in lottery winnings (12/14/17)
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
Taxpayer ID fraud
A noncitizen without a Social Security number needs an ID number to claim tax refunds. Individual taxpayer identification numbers were for taxes only, but driver's licenses were issued. Applicants weren't required to submit certified copies of their birth certificate or other identification. October 2007 the IRS stopped using successful fraud-detection measures to process applications.
According to www.foxnews.com:
* Three million tax returns seeking $6.8 billion were filed last year using ITIN. They don't know how many are fraudulent.
* $4.2 billion in refundable child tax credits sought last year using ITIN.
* 154 mailing addresses used 1,000 or more times on applications, including 15,795 numbers to a Phoenix address.
* 10 individual addresses filed 53,994 tax returns and received $86.4 million in fraudulent tax refunds.
* 23,994 tax refunds totaling $46.3 million to an address in Atlanta.
* 2,507 tax refunds totaling $10.4 million to an address in Oxnard, Calif.
* 10 bank accounts received 23,560 tax refunds totaling more than $16 million.
* 2,706 tax refunds to a single account totaling $7.3 million.
* IRS failed to take sufficient action in 2002. If serious about fraud, why does it still exist in Social Security, Medicare, etc.? Fix it! We are not a country of idiots. Fraud is destroying our country and adding to our national debt. Goodbye America! You did build that. It's your money they are stealing.
Government needs to start firing people for their bad behavior and no fat bonuses. We need accountability and oversight. Contact your representatives and keep after them. "Nothing never did anything."
CAROLYN PHELPS, Cape Girardeau