- Sikeston singer moves on with 'The Voice' (10/16/17)
- Past Rowdy the Redhawk mascot's identity revealed (10/15/17)
- Police chief, council: Cape Girardeau faces growing gun violence (10/17/17)4
- Developer asks court to OK tax district board for improvements near Hobby Lobby (10/17/17)4
- Politics to profits: Brothers launch new investing concept on Wall Street (10/19/17)1
- Load shift kills Jackson trucker (10/17/17)
- The last person to be laid to rest at Old Lorimier Cemetery: Mary Russell Fox (10/17/17)2
- Cape Christian School burglarized (10/18/17)
- Food Giant in Chaffee is robbed (10/17/17)
- Owner of dinosaur relics demands new board of directors, business plan at Bollinger County Museum (10/17/17)
Taxpayer ID fraud
A noncitizen without a Social Security number needs an ID number to claim tax refunds. Individual taxpayer identification numbers were for taxes only, but driver's licenses were issued. Applicants weren't required to submit certified copies of their birth certificate or other identification. October 2007 the IRS stopped using successful fraud-detection measures to process applications.
According to www.foxnews.com:
* Three million tax returns seeking $6.8 billion were filed last year using ITIN. They don't know how many are fraudulent.
* $4.2 billion in refundable child tax credits sought last year using ITIN.
* 154 mailing addresses used 1,000 or more times on applications, including 15,795 numbers to a Phoenix address.
* 10 individual addresses filed 53,994 tax returns and received $86.4 million in fraudulent tax refunds.
* 23,994 tax refunds totaling $46.3 million to an address in Atlanta.
* 2,507 tax refunds totaling $10.4 million to an address in Oxnard, Calif.
* 10 bank accounts received 23,560 tax refunds totaling more than $16 million.
* 2,706 tax refunds to a single account totaling $7.3 million.
* IRS failed to take sufficient action in 2002. If serious about fraud, why does it still exist in Social Security, Medicare, etc.? Fix it! We are not a country of idiots. Fraud is destroying our country and adding to our national debt. Goodbye America! You did build that. It's your money they are stealing.
Government needs to start firing people for their bad behavior and no fat bonuses. We need accountability and oversight. Contact your representatives and keep after them. "Nothing never did anything."
CAROLYN PHELPS, Cape Girardeau