- Cape businessman known for starting NARS dies at 49 (2/23/17)9
- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)6
- Missouri bill would limit transgender school bathroom access (2/22/17)47
- Annual father-daughter dance provides some fun bonding time (2/19/17)1
- SoutheastHEALTH, Washington University School of Medicine announce collaboration (2/24/17)9
- City issues precautionary boil order near Arena Park (2/23/17)
- $22M bond issue would alter Jackson schools (2/22/17)12
Taxpayer ID fraud
A noncitizen without a Social Security number needs an ID number to claim tax refunds. Individual taxpayer identification numbers were for taxes only, but driver's licenses were issued. Applicants weren't required to submit certified copies of their birth certificate or other identification. October 2007 the IRS stopped using successful fraud-detection measures to process applications.
According to www.foxnews.com:
* Three million tax returns seeking $6.8 billion were filed last year using ITIN. They don't know how many are fraudulent.
* $4.2 billion in refundable child tax credits sought last year using ITIN.
* 154 mailing addresses used 1,000 or more times on applications, including 15,795 numbers to a Phoenix address.
* 10 individual addresses filed 53,994 tax returns and received $86.4 million in fraudulent tax refunds.
* 23,994 tax refunds totaling $46.3 million to an address in Atlanta.
* 2,507 tax refunds totaling $10.4 million to an address in Oxnard, Calif.
* 10 bank accounts received 23,560 tax refunds totaling more than $16 million.
* 2,706 tax refunds to a single account totaling $7.3 million.
* IRS failed to take sufficient action in 2002. If serious about fraud, why does it still exist in Social Security, Medicare, etc.? Fix it! We are not a country of idiots. Fraud is destroying our country and adding to our national debt. Goodbye America! You did build that. It's your money they are stealing.
Government needs to start firing people for their bad behavior and no fat bonuses. We need accountability and oversight. Contact your representatives and keep after them. "Nothing never did anything."
CAROLYN PHELPS, Cape Girardeau