- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Charlotte Hartmann, 90, of Cape Girardeau, formerly of Villa Ridge, Ill., died Monday, Aug. 13, 2012, at Chateau Girardeau.
She was born Feb. 4, 1922, in Cape Girardeau, daughter of Raymond and Mildred Keane Beckman. She and Harry Lehning Hartmann were married April 12, 1947, at Old St. Vincent's Church.
Hartmann was a 1940 graduate of Central High School, and a 1944 graduate of St. John's Hospital School of Nursing in St. Louis.
She was a veteran, beginning her active duty with the U.S. Navy on May 9, 1945. She was an ensign in the nurses corps and worked a tour of duty at Great Lakes, Ill., Naval Hospital.
Hartmann worked at Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau, served as a private duty nurse, was ER and OB supervisor at St. Mary's Hospital, and taught nurse aides at the Adult School, both in Cairo, Ill. She loved snapdragons, the color blue and watching a good storm roll in. She had a wicked, funny sense of humor, loved to travel and play bingo. She also enjoyed a good drink every now and then!
In addition to her parents, Mrs. Hartmann was preceded in death by her husband in 1995; two sisters, Dorothy Beard and Patty Wulfers; and a child, Mary Linda Hartmann.
She is survived by six children, Karen Wadley of Paducah, Ky., Diane Boget of Villa Ridge, William Hartmann (Velina) of Anna, Ill., Daniel Hartmann of Villa Ridge, Debra Hertenstein (Richard) of Anna, Rita Crain (Steve) of Clayton, Mo.; and a sister-in-law, Rita Helen Hartmann of Cairo.
Also 12 grandchildren, Tim, Josh, Jerry, Kerry, Rita, Ryan, Emily, Chelsea, Asterios, Alexis, Jennifer and Lisa; 11 great-grandchildren, Ethan, Alec, Lucas, Travis, Bobby, Zoe, Christopher, Will, Sam, Anna and Luke; a special family friend, Brenda Baker; other relatives; and many friends.
Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Friday and 9 to 10:15 a.m. Saturday at Barkett Funeral Home in Cairo. The rosary will be recited at 7:30 p.m. Friday.
Funeral Mass will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Mound City, Ill., with the Rev. Chris Mujule as celebrant. Interment will be in Calvary Cemetery in Villa Ridge, with military honors by area veterans organizations and the U.S. Navy.
At the request of the family, expressions of sympathy may take the form of contributions to Cairo VFW Post 2649, St. Mary's Catholic Church in Mound City or the Alzheimer's Foundation.