- Police: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot after standoff in south Cape (1/14/18)3
- Here's what's being built next to Chick-fil-A in Cape (1/18/18)1
- Cape lands new summer-league baseball team; Capaha Field to see major upgrades (1/20/18)8
- Man sentenced to life for killing mother, burning her body; mouth taped shut at hearing (1/20/18)
- Author of Waller's manuscript rewarded for helping feds (1/13/18)
- Young author gave up TV at age 7 to pursue writing, and has recently finished his third novel (1/20/18)
- Redhawk Food Pantry helping Southeast students, employees who need assistance with food, supplies (1/19/18)2
- Cinderella shines in debut at Bedell (1/20/18)
- 3 mayor candidates in Scott City; former mayor Porch files for council seat (1/18/18)
- Chronic wasting disease found in 2 Southeast Missouri deer; whether disease transferable to humans unknown (1/18/18)
Cape BBQ Fest
As area parents send their children back to school this week, here's a bit of good news to extend your family's summer fun.
The Cape Girardeau Jaycees 20th annual Cape BBQ Fest is set for Aug. 24 and Aug. 25 at Arena Park. Sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society, the festival raises funds for the local Toybox program.
"The most popular part is on Friday night, said event chairman Robbie Guard. "You've got all these teams from all different areas. We get a lot of teams from the surrounding area and Cape Girardeau. A lot of people know people on a team, so they go out and socialize and have fun."
Last year the barbecue festival included 45 teams, and the Jaycees hope the competition eventually grows to more than 100 teams.
In addition to watching barbecue aficionados compete on Aug. 25, attendees can enjoy food and drinks starting on Aug. 24 at the Jaycees' barbecue stand and Port Cape's drink stand. The Mike Renick Band will perform at 8 p.m.
For barbecue lovers attendance is a must, and the cause it supports is a worthy one. In 2011, Toybox provided Christmas presents to about 1,300 children in more than 400 families.
Thanks to the Jaycees and the participating teams for their work. We look forward to eating some fantastic barbecue next weekend.