- A Whopper of an honor: Local company named top Burger King franchisee (11/15/17)3
- Southern Illinois farmer's grapevines destroyed by dicamba; four years of work lost (10/29/17)2
- Aldi store reopens after renovations (11/14/17)3
- Decisions coming soon on steel mill, smelter in New Madrid (11/17/17)1
- Residents view pedestrian bridge as eyesore; city manager says it's designed to rust (11/13/17)8
- State audit: Bollinger County tax levies violate state law; county commission disagrees (11/17/17)3
- Cape native co-directs Thanksgiving-related indie film, 'Drinksgiving' (11/17/17)
- The Tungsten Groove to release first album featuring original songs (11/17/17)
- Son of Westboro Baptist Church patriarch discusses abuse, faith (11/15/17)6
- Federal jury finds surgeon Fonn guilty of kickback scheme (11/10/17)4
Cape BBQ Fest
As area parents send their children back to school this week, here's a bit of good news to extend your family's summer fun.
The Cape Girardeau Jaycees 20th annual Cape BBQ Fest is set for Aug. 24 and Aug. 25 at Arena Park. Sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society, the festival raises funds for the local Toybox program.
"The most popular part is on Friday night, said event chairman Robbie Guard. "You've got all these teams from all different areas. We get a lot of teams from the surrounding area and Cape Girardeau. A lot of people know people on a team, so they go out and socialize and have fun."
Last year the barbecue festival included 45 teams, and the Jaycees hope the competition eventually grows to more than 100 teams.
In addition to watching barbecue aficionados compete on Aug. 25, attendees can enjoy food and drinks starting on Aug. 24 at the Jaycees' barbecue stand and Port Cape's drink stand. The Mike Renick Band will perform at 8 p.m.
For barbecue lovers attendance is a must, and the cause it supports is a worthy one. In 2011, Toybox provided Christmas presents to about 1,300 children in more than 400 families.
Thanks to the Jaycees and the participating teams for their work. We look forward to eating some fantastic barbecue next weekend.