- New custody law for equal time for dads begins today; some question law's relevance (8/28/16)5
- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)5
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- 'Santa' suspect Moffat sentenced to 12 years for sexual abuse of girl (8/23/16)2
- Schnucks bans solicitors, including organizations like Salvation Army (8/24/16)38
- Jackson girl stays planted on the farm (8/28/16)2
- Court ruling, state suggest businesses may apply use, sales tax to deliveries (8/24/16)2
Cape BBQ Fest
As area parents send their children back to school this week, here's a bit of good news to extend your family's summer fun.
The Cape Girardeau Jaycees 20th annual Cape BBQ Fest is set for Aug. 24 and Aug. 25 at Arena Park. Sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society, the festival raises funds for the local Toybox program.
"The most popular part is on Friday night, said event chairman Robbie Guard. "You've got all these teams from all different areas. We get a lot of teams from the surrounding area and Cape Girardeau. A lot of people know people on a team, so they go out and socialize and have fun."
Last year the barbecue festival included 45 teams, and the Jaycees hope the competition eventually grows to more than 100 teams.
In addition to watching barbecue aficionados compete on Aug. 25, attendees can enjoy food and drinks starting on Aug. 24 at the Jaycees' barbecue stand and Port Cape's drink stand. The Mike Renick Band will perform at 8 p.m.
For barbecue lovers attendance is a must, and the cause it supports is a worthy one. In 2011, Toybox provided Christmas presents to about 1,300 children in more than 400 families.
Thanks to the Jaycees and the participating teams for their work. We look forward to eating some fantastic barbecue next weekend.