- Few Southeast students face suspension, expulsion for sexual assaults, campus paper finds (4/25/17)5
- Pilot House goes smoke-free (4/23/17)10
- Woman battered after smashing boyfriend's meth pipe against wall, police say (4/25/17)1
- Event includes the first public tour of 200-year-old Elmwood Manor (4/23/17)3
- BBB warns Jackson man's online business might not be legit (4/24/17)
- Cape councilman Bob Fox to run for mayor (4/21/17)5
- Cape couple turns their home into cozy, comfortable music venue (4/24/17)
- Perryville family organizing bone-marrow drive Friday for ailing 6-year-old boy (4/26/17)
- Without city record, Marie Street residents on hook for thousands in sewer repairs (4/19/17)7
- Sikeston man charged in shooting death of Cape man (4/23/17)
Cape BBQ Fest
As area parents send their children back to school this week, here's a bit of good news to extend your family's summer fun.
The Cape Girardeau Jaycees 20th annual Cape BBQ Fest is set for Aug. 24 and Aug. 25 at Arena Park. Sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society, the festival raises funds for the local Toybox program.
"The most popular part is on Friday night, said event chairman Robbie Guard. "You've got all these teams from all different areas. We get a lot of teams from the surrounding area and Cape Girardeau. A lot of people know people on a team, so they go out and socialize and have fun."
Last year the barbecue festival included 45 teams, and the Jaycees hope the competition eventually grows to more than 100 teams.
In addition to watching barbecue aficionados compete on Aug. 25, attendees can enjoy food and drinks starting on Aug. 24 at the Jaycees' barbecue stand and Port Cape's drink stand. The Mike Renick Band will perform at 8 p.m.
For barbecue lovers attendance is a must, and the cause it supports is a worthy one. In 2011, Toybox provided Christmas presents to about 1,300 children in more than 400 families.
Thanks to the Jaycees and the participating teams for their work. We look forward to eating some fantastic barbecue next weekend.