- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Cape BBQ Fest
As area parents send their children back to school this week, here's a bit of good news to extend your family's summer fun.
The Cape Girardeau Jaycees 20th annual Cape BBQ Fest is set for Aug. 24 and Aug. 25 at Arena Park. Sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society, the festival raises funds for the local Toybox program.
"The most popular part is on Friday night, said event chairman Robbie Guard. "You've got all these teams from all different areas. We get a lot of teams from the surrounding area and Cape Girardeau. A lot of people know people on a team, so they go out and socialize and have fun."
Last year the barbecue festival included 45 teams, and the Jaycees hope the competition eventually grows to more than 100 teams.
In addition to watching barbecue aficionados compete on Aug. 25, attendees can enjoy food and drinks starting on Aug. 24 at the Jaycees' barbecue stand and Port Cape's drink stand. The Mike Renick Band will perform at 8 p.m.
For barbecue lovers attendance is a must, and the cause it supports is a worthy one. In 2011, Toybox provided Christmas presents to about 1,300 children in more than 400 families.
Thanks to the Jaycees and the participating teams for their work. We look forward to eating some fantastic barbecue next weekend.