- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- Former Chaffee officer faces DWI charge (8/20/17)2
- PBS crew filming in Cape; Glenn House to be featured (8/17/17)
- Scott City Council reinstates police chief (8/16/17)1
- Near miss: Woman 'lucky' following train incident (8/16/17)
This week you'll likely see some new faces in town as students attending Southeast Missouri State University return to campus.
This is an exciting time of year. Freshmen are starting a new phase in life, and returning students embark on a new year as they continue their education.
Southeast students play an important role in our local economy. As has been reported in past years, estimates are that for every 100 students, there is an added economic benefit to our area of about $1 million.
The benefits of living in a university town are more than monetary. Presentations from nationally recognized speakers, sporting events and other performances enhance the quality of life for those living in Cape Girardeau and the surrounding communities.
On Sunday the Welcome Back Student Picnic will be held at the Show Me Center. This annual back-to-school kickoff sponsored by the Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce is a good opportunity to welcome students to Cape Girardeau. If you are interested in volunteering for the picnic, contact Tim Arbeiter at the chamber. His email is firstname.lastname@example.org. If your business has a marquee, this is another way to welcome students.
We extend our warmest welcome to Southeast students. Cape Girardeau is a wonderful place to live, and we hope you find your niche in our community while completing your studies.