- Police: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot after standoff in south Cape (1/14/18)3
- Here's what's being built next to Chick-fil-A in Cape (1/18/18)1
- Cape lands new summer-league baseball team; Capaha Field to see major upgrades (1/20/18)8
- Man sentenced to life for killing mother, burning her body; mouth taped shut at hearing (1/20/18)
- Author of Waller's manuscript rewarded for helping feds (1/13/18)
- Young author gave up TV at age 7 to pursue writing, and has recently finished his third novel (1/20/18)
- Redhawk Food Pantry helping Southeast students, employees who need assistance with food, supplies (1/19/18)2
- Cinderella shines in debut at Bedell (1/20/18)
- 3 mayor candidates in Scott City; former mayor Porch files for council seat (1/18/18)
- Chronic wasting disease found in 2 Southeast Missouri deer; whether disease transferable to humans unknown (1/18/18)
This week you'll likely see some new faces in town as students attending Southeast Missouri State University return to campus.
This is an exciting time of year. Freshmen are starting a new phase in life, and returning students embark on a new year as they continue their education.
Southeast students play an important role in our local economy. As has been reported in past years, estimates are that for every 100 students, there is an added economic benefit to our area of about $1 million.
The benefits of living in a university town are more than monetary. Presentations from nationally recognized speakers, sporting events and other performances enhance the quality of life for those living in Cape Girardeau and the surrounding communities.
On Sunday the Welcome Back Student Picnic will be held at the Show Me Center. This annual back-to-school kickoff sponsored by the Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce is a good opportunity to welcome students to Cape Girardeau. If you are interested in volunteering for the picnic, contact Tim Arbeiter at the chamber. His email is firstname.lastname@example.org. If your business has a marquee, this is another way to welcome students.
We extend our warmest welcome to Southeast students. Cape Girardeau is a wonderful place to live, and we hope you find your niche in our community while completing your studies.