- Plans in the works to save Esquire Theater on Broadway in Cape (2/21/18)2
- Man transitioning to woman killed herself in Cape City Jail in June; news comes from architect's pitch in Kansas (2/15/18)2
- Bell City arrest, Scott City incident highlight high-alert status following Fla. school shooting (2/20/18)4
- Cape Girardeau businessman proposes redevelopment project; seeks taxing district to fund improvements (2/17/18)16
- TJ's Burgers, Wings & Pizza expands with dining area in Fruitland (2/16/18)
- Pence gets it right in response to attack on Christian faith (2/17/18)6
- As February winds down, Chaffee looking forward to reopening of ice cream shop (2/21/18)1
- Scott City puts school on lockdown; officials say alleged threat 'not credible' (2/21/18)2
- The heart of the matter: Clinic helps patients rise above congestive heart failure (2/17/18)
- Jackson schools purchased former orchard land, will lease for farming for now (2/15/18)
This week you'll likely see some new faces in town as students attending Southeast Missouri State University return to campus.
This is an exciting time of year. Freshmen are starting a new phase in life, and returning students embark on a new year as they continue their education.
Southeast students play an important role in our local economy. As has been reported in past years, estimates are that for every 100 students, there is an added economic benefit to our area of about $1 million.
The benefits of living in a university town are more than monetary. Presentations from nationally recognized speakers, sporting events and other performances enhance the quality of life for those living in Cape Girardeau and the surrounding communities.
On Sunday the Welcome Back Student Picnic will be held at the Show Me Center. This annual back-to-school kickoff sponsored by the Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce is a good opportunity to welcome students to Cape Girardeau. If you are interested in volunteering for the picnic, contact Tim Arbeiter at the chamber. His email is firstname.lastname@example.org. If your business has a marquee, this is another way to welcome students.
We extend our warmest welcome to Southeast students. Cape Girardeau is a wonderful place to live, and we hope you find your niche in our community while completing your studies.