- Police: Cape man kidnapped woman, then raped, assaulted her (06/30/16)7
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)30
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)7
- Four men accused of roles in three robberies (06/29/16)3
- Coroner asks for grand jury in Poplar Bluff fatal hit-and-run case (06/28/16)1
- Southeast president to get his U.S. citizenship July 4 (06/30/16)21
- Cape murderer still will serve 2 life sentences; appeals court forced reduced charge (06/30/16)
- Cape detective who helped solve Krajcir case is retiring (06/28/16)8
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Business notebook: Melting Co. adds to Cape's food-truck fleet (06/27/16)
Whether it's in government, business or community, having good leadership is important. Strong leaders inspire others. They provide direction. They are visionaries who take charge and provide a steadying hand in good times and bad. In some capacity we are all leaders. So it's important we maximize our abilities and learn how to be the most effective leaders possible.
This Thursday and Friday the Global Leadership Summitt will be held. Started by the Willow Creek Association, a not-for-profit organization in Chicago, the conference is broadcast to 185 host sites. La Croix United Methodist Church in Cape Girardeau is serving as a local site.
This is the third year for La Croix to serve as a host site, and attendance has grown from about 400 people the first year to about 570 last year. La Croix pastor Ron Watts said he's hoping to see more than 600 people at this year's event.
The lineup of speakers this year is impressive, and includes author Jim Collins, former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, pastor and author John Ortberg and Willow Creek Community Church senior pastor Bill Hybels.
Through Tuesday you can register for the conference online at www.lacroixchurch.org. You can also register before the conference Thursday at the church, 3102 Lexington Ave.
Thanks to La Croix for offering this opportunity. These conferences have been inspiring in past years. With this year's lineup of speakers it looks to be another promising event and opportunity to learn how we can all become better leaders.