- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)26
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Several businesses haven't renewed Cape Girardeau licenses
Sixteen Cape Girardeau businesses have yet to renew their operating licenses, which expired in January. Last month, the city identified more than 30 businesses operating without a license and began working with police to ensure the businesses are closed.
"Some of them may have closed, but they have not submitted their paperwork," said Heather Brooks, assistant city manager.
Businesses that have not contacted the city to renew their licenses are: Data Investments, A-1 Lawn & Garden, All in One Cleaning & Maintenance LLC, C&E Cleaning Service, Cape City Maps, Davis Power Washing, Heartland Window Treatments, Knowles Gifts, Logical Time Solutions, Mackey Client Protection of Missouri, One Stop Exhaust, the Gloss Boss LLC, Ya Choice, Sportsman's Trail, Sun & Tan and Riverfront Auto Sales.
All businesses received a renewal form from the city in December that said licenses must be renewed by Jan. 31, Brooks said. The city issued a second notice Feb. 28 to businesses that still had not renewed their license. Then in May, the city attorney's office sent a third warning that businesses needed to renew their city license.
Businesses that are now in compliance after receiving a third warning are: Lamouria Landscape, River City Cleaning, The All Good Grill, Synergy Performance, EClips School of Cosmetology & Barbering, Memories of the Heart, Cornerstone Countertops Inc., Builders Unlimited, Spectrum Transformer, Kitchen Automotive, House of Hair and Shine Em Up Auto Detail.
In order to obtain a business licenses, all businesses subject to sales tax must present a copy of their Missouri retail sales license to the city. License fees vary depending on the type of business, starting around $25. Hotels are subject to a license tax of 4 percent of gross receipts, and restaurant licenses are subject to a license tax of 1 percent of gross receipts.
401 Independence St., Cape Girardeau, MO