Out of the past 8/3/12

Friday, August 3, 2012

1987

A morning dedication ceremony marks the beginning of Southeast Missouri Hospital's LifeBeat helicopter air ambulance service; it will provide emergency service within a 100-mile radius of Cape Girardeau.

The Cape Girardeau City Council meeting turns into a late-night debate over last-minute opposition to the transportation sales tax measure, which is on tomorrow's election ballot; councilmen angrily denounce the actions of 630 Inc., which raised last-minute questions about the tax issue in paid advertisements in the Southeast Missourian.

1962

A three-story, brick house built in 1912 along the lines of a southern mansion has been sold for conversion into a nursing home; the home at 702 North St. has been owned by Mrs. H.C. Fluhart; the new owners are Mr. and Mrs. Felix Scherer and Mr. and Mrs. Howard Payne; the home will be called "The Virginia Home for Retired Persons."

The Ralph Edwards Sportswear Co., 334 Broadview St., has been awarded a government defense contract that totals $130,666; the contract calls for the manufacture of 5,696 men's leather jackets to be used by the Navy.

1937

Two of the older men in point of service in the Cape Girardeau Police Department have been placed in charge of that force; Charles A. Schweer is the new chief, replacing the late Paul B. McNeely, and John M. Wilson is his assistant; Schweer has been a police officer 11 years, while Wilson has been a regular member of the force 10 years.

Mrs. John A. Hobbs, who owns the historic Williams farm on William Creek, on which stands Old McKendree Church, has decided to give up management of the farm; she will sell the 200-plus acre farm and retire; the farm has been in the Williams family for 135 years.

1912

Nelson Crews of Kansas City, Mo., speaks at Jackson at the Emancipation Day celebration, organized by the blacks of the county; the day is celebrated with parades, barbecue, games and speeches.

Dr. J.W. Berry, who has been living on Bellevue Street, has moved into the house formerly occupied by W.C. Haman on South Ellis Street; Haman has moved to his farm near Imboden, Ark.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: