- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
John Moses, 90, of Cape Girardeau, formerly of Mounds, Ill., died Thursday, Aug. 2, 2012, at the Missouri Veterans Home.
He was born April 23, 1922, in Mounds, son of George S. and Mary Hamaway Moses.
Moses was owner of John's Mart in Cairo, Ill., and Moses Farms in Mounds before retiring. He was a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Mound City, Ill., Mounds VFW, Cairo Knights of Columbus, and Pulaski-Alexander County Farm Bureau.
He was a veteran of World War II, serving in the Pacific Theater with the U.S. Marine Corps.
Moses was preceded in death by his wife, Evelyn, in 1981; a son, John Pat Moses; a granddaughter, Ranee Miller; two sisters, Nida and Cassie; and four brothers, Sam, Ben, Lufkin and Edward.
Survivors include three daughters, Sherry Miller of Mounds; Teresa Moses of Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, Ann (Jim) Rolwing of Charleston, Mo.; two sons, Dr. Lufkin (Vicki) Moses of Sweetwater, Texas, Dr. Adrian (Mari) Moses of Gilbert, Iowa; five granddaughters, Camille Miller of Memphis, Tenn., Courtney Fortune, Teri Moses and Melissa Moses, all of Abilene, Texas, Andrea Rowland of Memphis; three grandsons, Heath Rolwing of Poplar Bluff, Mo., Elliott Miller of San Diego, Adam Miller of Mounds; several great-grandchildren; great-great-grandchildren; nieces; nephews; and other relatives.
Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. today at Barkett Funeral Home in Cairo. The rosary will be recited at 8 p.m.
Funeral Mass will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at St. Mary's Church in Mound City, with the Rev. Chris Mujule as celebrant. Interment will be in St. Mary's Cemetery in Mounds, with military honors provided by area veterans organizations.