- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)9
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)2
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
Meyer earns honor graduate from military training
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. -- Pvt. Chase Meyer, of Farmington, recently completed his military training to become a machinist for Missouri National Guard's 1140th Forward Support Company in Cape Girardeau.
"I always wanted to join the military because my dad, grandpa and great grandpa served and they were positive influences in my life," said Meyer. "I loved hearing their stories and when I'm done I hope I can share my stories with others too."
He attended basic training at Fort Jackson, S.C., and was an honor graduate from advance individual training at Fort Lee, N.J., recently.
He was grateful to receive the recognition but it's all about being a good Soldier, said Meyer.
"I just did what I was supposed to do," said Meyer.
Meyer served with Company E of the Recruit Sustainment program in Cape Girardeau. Through the program, he learned basic Army skills and values and became more familiar with his role as a Soldier in the Missouri Army National Guard.
Staff Sgt. Karla Threlkeld, recruiter at the Farmington armory, said Meyer will be a great asset to his new unit.
"He has a lot of heart and put 110 percent into everything he does," said Threlkeld. "I'm very proud of him."
Meyer will begin serving with his new unit in August 2012.
Meyer is the son of Dale and Jacquie Meyer, of Farmington. He is a graduate of Farmington High School.
For more information about the Missouri National Guard, please visit www.moguard.com and our social media sites: www.facebook.com/Missouri.National.Guard; www.twitter.com/Missouri_NG; www.youtube.com/MoNationalGuard; www.myspace.com/missouri_ng; www.flickr.com/photos/missouriguard; www.moguard.com/blog; www.pinterest.com/monationalguard/