- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)4
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
- Missouri bill would limit transgender school bathroom access (2/22/17)42
- Annual father-daughter dance provides some fun bonding time (2/19/17)1
- Cape businessman known for starting NARS dies at 49 (2/23/17)3
Henderson graduates from military training
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. -- Pvt. Tyler Henderson, of Scott City, recently completed his military training to become a motor transport driver for Missouri National Guard's Detachment 1, 1221st Transportation Unit in Portageville.
"I wanted to be able to support my wife and our life together," said Henderson. "Growing up I looked up to my grandfather who was a marine and served in Vietnam, he was always my inspiration."
He graduated from basic training and advanced individual training at Fort Jackson, S.C., July 13, 2012.
Prior to training, Henderson served with Company E of the Recruit Sustainment program in Cape Girardeau. Through the program, he learned basic Army skills and values and became more familiar with his role as a Soldier in the Missouri Army National Guard.
Staff Sgt. Steven Bell, recruiter at the Cape Girardeau armory, said Henderson will be a great asset to the Missouri National Guard.
"From the first time he came into my office I saw a look of determination and the want to become something bigger and greater than himself," said Bell. "He'll push himself and those around him to do and be better."
Henderson will begin serving with his new unit in August 2012
Henderson is the son of Tracy Derossett, of Anna, Ill.
For more information about the Missouri National Guard, please visit www.moguard.com and our social media sites: www.facebook.com/Missouri.National.Guard; www.twitter.com/Missouri_NG; www.youtube.com/MoNationalGuard; www.myspace.com/missouri_ng; www.flickr.com/photos/missouriguard; www.moguard.com/blog; www.pinterest.com/monationalguard/