- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/21/16)5
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)1
St. Mary Cathedral/Old St. Vincent Food Pantry
Watermelons were obtained by the volunteers at the St. Mary Cathedral/Old St. Vincent Food Pantry this past Monday morning to provide fresh fruit to area needy families. Volunteers unloaded over 3 plats of watermelons picked up from the Southeast Missouri Food Bank.
Space is cramped at the Food Pantry located at the corner of Sprigg and William, just across from St. Mary Cathedral. The Pantry's freezers and refrigerators are packed in to hold frozen meat, the shelves crammed into one room for canned goods and a makeshift "cool" room with sheets and a one room air conditioner keep fresh produce good until it is given away.
Volunteers spend countless hours collecting food, as well as tending the Food Pantry's Garden behind the building which helps provide fresh vegetables to those in need.
Canned goods, frozen meat, cereal, and other items are provided by the parishioners of St. Mary Cathedral, Old St. Vincent, Southeast Food Bank, and several local businesses such as Hinkebein Farms.