- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)5
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)2
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
Paid election letter: Jay Purcell works for you
Cape Girardeau County voters:I am Dick Kent Withers of the Cape Girardeau County Park Board, and I want to tell you why I am voting to re-elect our County Commissioner Jay Purcell.
As our county commissioner, Jay Purcell has assumed the duties of the retiring park superintendent for no additional salary, which saves the citizens over $50,000 a year.
With Jay's leadership, we have rebuilt and remodeled park shelters; we started Melaina's Playground; and we installed a world class disc golf course, all while Jay Purcell is saving us $50,000 a year by working both as county commissioner and park superintendent.
In my opinion the choice is simple!
We can vote for one of Jay Purcell's opponents, who both have publicly stated that if elected they will not work both jobs as Jay Purcell has done.
Or, we can re-elect a hard working County Commissioner Jay Purcell who will continue to do both jobs, continue to improve the county parks, and continue to save us over $50,000 a year.
DICK KENT WITHERS, Cape Girardeau County Park Board, 221 N. Sunset Blvd., Cape Girardeau, MO 63701