- Obama shortens sentence of inmate from Cape (1/19/17)9
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Area hospitals hope a box helps prevent infant deaths (1/19/17)6
- Jackson police describe night of anger, car crashes, drug possession by 18-year-old (1/22/17)5
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)8
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)4
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Local students to perform with choir at inauguration (1/19/17)3
- Southeast to lose $3.5 million from state in budget cuts (1/18/17)21
- Subjects of interest in 1992 killing take polygraph tests; results not revealed (1/18/17)2
Paid election letter: Jay Purcell works for you
Cape Girardeau County voters:I am Dick Kent Withers of the Cape Girardeau County Park Board, and I want to tell you why I am voting to re-elect our County Commissioner Jay Purcell.
As our county commissioner, Jay Purcell has assumed the duties of the retiring park superintendent for no additional salary, which saves the citizens over $50,000 a year.
With Jay's leadership, we have rebuilt and remodeled park shelters; we started Melaina's Playground; and we installed a world class disc golf course, all while Jay Purcell is saving us $50,000 a year by working both as county commissioner and park superintendent.
In my opinion the choice is simple!
We can vote for one of Jay Purcell's opponents, who both have publicly stated that if elected they will not work both jobs as Jay Purcell has done.
Or, we can re-elect a hard working County Commissioner Jay Purcell who will continue to do both jobs, continue to improve the county parks, and continue to save us over $50,000 a year.
DICK KENT WITHERS, Cape Girardeau County Park Board, 221 N. Sunset Blvd., Cape Girardeau, MO 63701