- A Whopper of an honor: Local company named top Burger King franchisee (11/15/17)3
- Southern Illinois farmer's grapevines destroyed by dicamba; four years of work lost (10/29/17)2
- Aldi store reopens after renovations (11/14/17)3
- Decisions coming soon on steel mill, smelter in New Madrid (11/17/17)1
- Residents view pedestrian bridge as eyesore; city manager says it's designed to rust (11/13/17)8
- State audit: Bollinger County tax levies violate state law; county commission disagrees (11/17/17)3
- Cape native co-directs Thanksgiving-related indie film, 'Drinksgiving' (11/17/17)
- The Tungsten Groove to release first album featuring original songs (11/17/17)
- Son of Westboro Baptist Church patriarch discusses abuse, faith (11/15/17)6
- Federal jury finds surgeon Fonn guilty of kickback scheme (11/10/17)4
Paid election letter: Jay Purcell works for you
Cape Girardeau County voters:I am Dick Kent Withers of the Cape Girardeau County Park Board, and I want to tell you why I am voting to re-elect our County Commissioner Jay Purcell.
As our county commissioner, Jay Purcell has assumed the duties of the retiring park superintendent for no additional salary, which saves the citizens over $50,000 a year.
With Jay's leadership, we have rebuilt and remodeled park shelters; we started Melaina's Playground; and we installed a world class disc golf course, all while Jay Purcell is saving us $50,000 a year by working both as county commissioner and park superintendent.
In my opinion the choice is simple!
We can vote for one of Jay Purcell's opponents, who both have publicly stated that if elected they will not work both jobs as Jay Purcell has done.
Or, we can re-elect a hard working County Commissioner Jay Purcell who will continue to do both jobs, continue to improve the county parks, and continue to save us over $50,000 a year.
DICK KENT WITHERS, Cape Girardeau County Park Board, 221 N. Sunset Blvd., Cape Girardeau, MO 63701