- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)8
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)33
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
- Cape police warn of 'Grandparent Scam' (12/4/16)
Jackson Sanitation Dept. Selected for ESGR Award
Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR), an agency of the Department of Defense, has presented the Patriot Award to Brent Reid, Supervisor of the City of Jackson Sanitation Department, in recognition of extraordinary support of its employees who serve in the National Guard and Reserve.
Mr. Reid was nominated for the award by Specialist Aaron McElrath, an employee of the department and an Infantryman with Company C, 1/138th Infantry Battalion, Missouri Army National Guard in St. Louis. Aaron states that he is allowed to train with the Guard when necessary and is always welcomed back upon his return.
According to Brig. Gen. (Ret.) Tracy Beckette, ESGR Missouri State Chair, "The Patriot Award was created by ESGR to publicly recognize individuals who provide outstanding patriotic support and cooperation to their employees, who like the citizen warriors before them, have answered their nation's call to serve. "Supportive supervisors are critical to maintaining the strength and readiness of the nation's National Guard and Reserve units," as stated by Beckette.
Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve is a Department of Defense agency and no-cost resource that recognizes supportive employers, informs service members and employers about the Uniform Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA), and provides conflict mediation services.