- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Cape fines contractor $1,100 a day for street-project delays; contractor blames utility relocations (5/18/17)13
- Attorney general seeks bond revocation for embattled sheriff (5/17/17)3
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- I will not be silenced (5/16/17)4
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
- Revival of Oran police board urged amid timecard fraud, nepotism allegations (5/17/17)4
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
Jackson Sanitation Dept. Selected for ESGR Award
Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR), an agency of the Department of Defense, has presented the Patriot Award to Brent Reid, Supervisor of the City of Jackson Sanitation Department, in recognition of extraordinary support of its employees who serve in the National Guard and Reserve.
Mr. Reid was nominated for the award by Specialist Aaron McElrath, an employee of the department and an Infantryman with Company C, 1/138th Infantry Battalion, Missouri Army National Guard in St. Louis. Aaron states that he is allowed to train with the Guard when necessary and is always welcomed back upon his return.
According to Brig. Gen. (Ret.) Tracy Beckette, ESGR Missouri State Chair, "The Patriot Award was created by ESGR to publicly recognize individuals who provide outstanding patriotic support and cooperation to their employees, who like the citizen warriors before them, have answered their nation's call to serve. "Supportive supervisors are critical to maintaining the strength and readiness of the nation's National Guard and Reserve units," as stated by Beckette.
Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve is a Department of Defense agency and no-cost resource that recognizes supportive employers, informs service members and employers about the Uniform Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA), and provides conflict mediation services.