- Obama shortens sentence of inmate from Cape (1/19/17)9
- Jackson police describe night of anger, car crashes, drug possession by 18-year-old (1/22/17)5
- Area hospitals hope a box helps prevent infant deaths (1/19/17)6
- A message from heaven (1/23/17)
- Local students to perform with choir at inauguration (1/19/17)3
- Southeast to lose $3.5 million from state in budget cuts (1/18/17)21
- Subjects of interest in 1992 killing take polygraph tests; results not revealed (1/18/17)2
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)4
- Area residents among those attending inauguration, women's march (1/22/17)90
- Comedian, cancer survivor Tom Green headlines sold-out Cancer Center benefit (1/22/17)
Speak Out 7/25/12
We would like to thank the Jackson utility workers for their timely response, after the straight line winds downed our utility lines. Many times your efforts go unnoticed, but I know my neighbors on Bainbridge Road would all like to say thanks.
Huh? One of the reasons given by the Show-Me Institute as to why Missourians should oppose Medicaid expansion under the Affordable Care Act is because, "Over a 10-year period, Missouri would need to commit about $430 million in order to qualify for $8.4 billion in additional Medicaid grants from the federal government." Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. If Missouri turns it down, it will simply mean that Missouri taxpayers will in effect be subsidizing the mega-Medicaid bucks that will go to other states.
Let's all get behind required photo IDs. A person should be required to show his photo ID before he can vote in any election. Call and write your congressman and your senator. Demand they put this in affect for the November election.
I'm not sure that corporations are made up of people who share a common goal, as one time GE CEO Jack Welch tried to convince us. For example, I don't think you'd get a positive response if you asked the average corporate employee if he was working his tail off to ensure that the top management officials received hundreds of millions of dollars of bonuses, especially during difficult economic times when the worker's wages have flatlined.
Congress is upset because the uniforms for the United States Olympic team are made in China. Get used to it. My clothes are, too. Bring our jobs back to this country and things will change, and quit spending money that we don't have. Like billions in Afghanistan and $2 billion in Vietnam for Agent Orange victims. Our vets got squat. It isn't expenses to our people breaking us, it is what you are giving to other countries and wars that we can't afford.